Advanced Therapeutics & Pharm
Advanced Therapeutics & Pharm 2023-24
School Of Medical And Health Sciences
Module - Semester 1 & 2
Consolidating knowledge and understanding following on from the first module. This module will complete the areas of competence related to prescribing and cover therapeutic interventions for the remaining conditions as set out in the PA curriculum. The management of medical emergencies and more common but particularly bespoke drugs including insulins and anti-coagulation, together with the use of guidelines and in particular the British National Formulary will be covered. The participation of patients and carers in decision making and making informed consent will inform on the application of bespoke clinical practice. These main subject areas will combine with the other modules in a spiral approach to curriculum delivery to optimise the learning on the PA program
-threshold -Category C (50% -59%)A threshold student should have basic knowledge of the essential facts and key concepts of therapeutics and pharmacology presented in the module. The work is only based on lecture material and no evidence of wider reading or critical thinking. -good -Category B (60%-69%)A good student should have a thorough factual knowledge across all aspects of the module, and be able to detail examples where appropriate. The work presented is largely based on the lecture material. Limited evidence of wider reading and critical analysis. -excellent -Category A (70% - 100%):An excellent student should have a thorough factual knowledge across all aspects of the module, and be able to detail examples where appropriate, supported by additional reading and knowledge drawn from other modules. The work presents evidence of critical thinking. Especially for the higher A marks, critical analysis and wider reading is essential.
- Analyse the administration of bespoke therapies, side effects and management, factors influencing dosage, drug interactions and poly-pharmacy.
- Be able to calculate dosage/infusions and have a working knowledge of a range of prescribed drugs and their administration.
- Develop a deeper understanding of the appropriate use of therapies
- Explore how therapeutic interventions relate to disease prevention, diagnoses and management plans
- Gain an advanced understanding of the key areas of therapeutics
- Gain an in-depth knowledge regarding use of drug administration/fluid charts
- Review evidence related to prescribing medications, guidelines and issues surrounding safe prescribing
- Review the benefits and risks related to interventions