Professional Practice 3
Professional Practice 3 2023-24
School Of Computer Science And Electronic Engineering
Module - Semester 1 & 2
The first half of this module focuses on business success, effective business strategy, business planning and business plan creation. This culminates in a part essay, part business plan submission which is directly connected with the 3rd year major project undertaken in modules 3045 and 3046. Understanding what is successful business strategy is fundamental to effective design. This part of the module brings together may aspects studied theoretically and practically throughout the course and is presented as a report and business plan, along with an evaluation. Elements of this module are taught by external business and innovation consultants.
The second half of this module consists of a 4 week long team task (random mix of First, Second and Third Year students) to engage and respond to an industrial live brief set by one of our partner companies. This aspect of the module is assess by a team Viva before a panel of judges. This task and its assessment replicates the process by which designers working in a team would present their delivered outcome to a client.
- Effective Business Strategy
- Planning for Business Success
- Business Model Canvas creation
- Report evaluation
- Interpreting the Brief
- Team forming
- Team strategy and working methods
- Design realisation
- Team Viva
-threshold -(D) See learning outcomes.
-good -(B) A good overall grasp of all the learning outcomes and how they relate to one another.
-excellent -(A) A very good grasp of all the learning outcomes and the ability to reflect on their relationship to one another in an analytic way.
- Create a business plan to complement the final year project
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to apply more complex human centred design principles in commercial contexts.
- Develop a critical understanding of the constituents of commercial success in its various forms
- Evaluate success and reflect on the strengths and weaknesses of the business plan
- Identify and develop a critical understanding of successful business strategies
- Present and evaluate personal contribution and self-evaluation
- Present and evaluate team management, focus and direction
- Present and reflect on team task design decisions
- Present and reflect on team task prototype testing
- Produce innovation and project management evidence that takes into account real user needs and desires, economic viability and market potential, manufacturing feasibility.
Professional Assignment and Business Model
Team Task Viva Presentation 3