Advanced Spanish 1
Run by School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credits or 10.000 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr David Miranda-Barreiro
Overall aims and purpose
This module aims to develop students' translation and reading comprehension skills through the study of texts varying in style and register. Students will be able to produce competent pieces of writing in Spanish and they will develop their oral and aural skills through conversation exercises and selected audio-visual materials varying in tone and register. Throughout the module they will learn new vocabulary and will incorporate key expressions into oral and written work. They will develop a more complex understanding of key grammatical structures and an ability to use grammatical constructions in written and oral expression, as well as being able to discuss and defend arguments and ideas in group and one-to-one discussions. While from developing linguistic skills, students will also learn to understand key aspects informing contemporary Hispanic identities.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving B1+/B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
This module enables post A-level students to develop written and oral communicative skills in Spanish by extending linguistic competence acquired at A-level. It comprises text-based classes in which students have the opportunity to develop translation and writing skills, as well as oral/aural classes, in which a range of audio and visual aids are employed to stimulate group discussions and debates. Throughout the module, students also have the opportunity to revise and consolidate key areas of grammar. The texts and materials used in this module are chosen from a range of sources including media and literary works in order to familiarise students with variations in tone and register. Through these materials, students will also gain an insight into particular Hispanic themes and issues that relate to contemporary life and society in the Spanish-speaking world. Learning outside of the classroom is supported through a co-curricular Self-Study Portfolio.
40-49%: Limited knowledge of Spanish grammar and vocabulary resulting in a limited ability to communicate in writing or translate from Spanish-English and Spanish-German. Basic understanding of aural and written material in Spanish. Basic grasp of Spanish pronunciation and limited ability to converse freely in Spanish and respond to spoken material. Limited ability to present and defend opinions in written and oral Spanish
50-69%: Good knowledge of Spanish grammar and vocabulary resulting in a good ability to communicate in writing or translate from Spanish-English and Spanish-German. Good understanding of aural and written material in Spanish. Good grasp of Spanish pronunciation and some ability to converse freely in Spanish and respond to spoken material. Ability to present and defend opinions in written and oral Spanish.
70+%: Excellent knowledge of Spanish grammar and vocabulary resulting in an excellent ability to communicate in writing or translate from Spanish -English and English-Spanish . Excellent understanding of aural and written material in Spanish . Excellent grasp of Spanish pronunciation and clear ability to converse freely in Spanish and respond to spoken material. Clear ability to present and defend opinions in written and oral Spanish .
Engage with Spanish language in spoken form, understanding, reacting and responding to it in an interactive context.
Employ key grammatical structures in written and oral work.
Demonstrate an ability to extract and use information presented in Spanish language sources to answer questions in the target language.
Produce accurate and idiomatically correct written Spanish.
Apply new areas of vocabulary to written work.
Understand and translate written texts varying in style and register.
Explore and evaluate some of the key themes and debates dominating contemporary Spanish culture.
|ESSAY||Creative Writing exercise||25.00|
|EXAM||Written exam (2 hours)||50.00|
|LOGBOOK OR PORTFOLIO||Self study portfolio||0.00|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
1 grammar lecture per week for 11 weeks per semester.
1 Translation, Writing and Culture seminar per week for 11 weeks per semester.
2 x conversation based seminars that include a cultural component per 11 weeks
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Subject specific skills
- 1. The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in short written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- 2. The ability to translate short passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- 3. Engaging with, interpreting and critically evaluating short and longer contemporary texts (short stories, films, novels) in the target language (Benchmark statement 5. 8, and 5.9)
- 5. The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in oral assignments, showing familiarity with a range of topics and registers in formal and informal situations. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- 7. The ability to read, understand and summarise written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to critically understand cultural studies concepts on cultural hybridity and their application to core Italian postcolonial texts. (Benchmark statements 5.7, 5.10).
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lzs-1001.html
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 1 (BA/ASP)
- N2R4: BA Business Management and Spanish year 1 (BA/BMS)
- NR34: BA Banking/Spanish year 1 (BA/BSP)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 1 (BA/BSSP)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 1 (BA/BUSSS)
- T113: BA Chinese & French with Spanish year 1 (BA/CHFS)
- T116: BA Chinese & German with Spanish year 1 (BA/CHGS)
- T119: BA Chinese & Italian with Spanish year 1 (BA/CHIS)
- T120: BA Chinese & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/CHSF)
- T121: BA Chinese & Spanish with German year 1 (BA/CHSG)
- T122: BA Chinese & Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/CHSI)
- T107: BA Chinese and Spanish year 1 (BA/CHSP)
- MR94: BA Criminology/Spanish year 1 (BA/CRSP)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTSP)
- LR14: BA Economics/Spanish year 1 (BA/ECSP)
- 3YT5: BA English Literature and Spanish year 1 (BA/ELIS)
- QR3K: BA English Language and Spanish year 1 (BA/ELSP)
- R913: BA French & German with Spanish year 1 (BA/FGS4)
- R912: BA French, German & Spanish year 1 (BA/FGS4#)
- R91F: BA French, German & Spanish [with Foundation Year] year 1 (BA/FGS4#F)
- R919: BA French & Italian with Spanish year 1 (BA/FIS4)
- R917: BA French, Italian & Spanish year 1 (BA/FIS4#)
- R1R4: BA French with Spanish year 1 (BA/FS4)
- RR14: BA French and Spanish year 1 (BA/FS4#)
- R914: BA French & Spanish with German year 1 (BA/FSG4)
- R915: BA French & Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/FSI4)
- R1R5: BA French with Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/FSPIE)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 1 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- R924: BA German & Italian with Spanish year 1 (BA/GIS4)
- R925: BA German, Italian & Spanish year 1 (BA/GIS4#)
- RR24: BA German/Spanish (4 years) year 1 (BA/GS)
- R2R4: BA German with Spanish year 1 (BA/GS4)
- R922: BA German & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/GSF4)
- R923: BA German & Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/GSI4)
- 8Y64: BA German and Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/GSIE)
- RV41: BA History/Spanish year 1 (BA/HSP)
- R926: BA Italian & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/ISF4)
- R927: BA Italian & Spanish with German year 1 (BA/ISG4)
- QR14: BA Linguistics/Spanish year 1 (BA/LSP)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTSP)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 1 (BA/MKTSP#)
- P3R4: BA Media Studies with Spanish year 1 (BA/MSSP)
- P3R5: BA Media Stud with Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/MSSPIE)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 1 (BA/MUSP)
- VVR4: BA Philosophy and Religion and Spanish year 1 (BA/PRS)
- R4N2: BA Spanish with Business Management year 1 (BA/SBM)
- 8M74: BA Spanish with Creative Writing (with International Exp) year 1 (BA/SCIE)
- RR43: BA Spanish/Italian year 1 (BA/SI)
- R400: BA Spanish year 1 (BA/SP4)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 1 (BA/SPBS)
- T110: BA Spanish with Chinese year 1 (BA/SPCH)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 1 (BA/SPCW)
- QR54: BA Spanish/Cymraeg year 1 (BA/SPCY)
- R4R1: BA Spanish with French year 1 (BA/SPFR)
- R4R2: BA Spanish with German year 1 (BA/SPG)
- R4R3: BA Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/SPI)
- R4P5: BA Spanish with Journalism year 1 (BA/SPJO)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 1 (BA/SPMKT)
- R4P3: BA Spanish with Media Studies year 1 (BA/SPMS)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 1 (BA/SPSSC)
- NBR4: BSc Business Management with Spanish year 1 (BSC/BMS)
- M119: LLB Law with Spanish (European Experience) year 1 (LLB/LSE)
Optional in courses:
- M100: LLB Law year 1 (LLB/L)
- M11B: LLB Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (LLB/L1)
- M102: LLB Law (International Experience) year 1 (LLB/LI)
- M10P: LLB Law with Placement Year year 1 (LLB/LP)