3 Lang Project (2 maj/1 min)
Run by School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Silvia Bergamini
Overall aims and purpose
The aim of this module is to provide students with the opportunity to undertake an extended piece of work during their semester in Italy. The project enables students to develop in-depth knowledge of a specific element of Italian life, literature or culture while also enhancing their written and spoken level of Italian language. The chosen subject area should be something that is not already a specific component of the syllabus, thereby encouraging students to develop independent study and research skills.
Provided it meets with the approval of the relevant members of staff in Modern Languages, the chosen subject or translation passage may concern any aspect of Italian life, literature, history or culture. The chosen subject area should not be something that is already a specific component of the syllabus. The essay or presentation will be in the target language.
40-49%: Satisfactory comprehension of the chosen topic; limited display of independent research skills and limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
50-69%: Solid comprehension of the chosen topic; adequate display of independent research skills and good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
70+%: Detailed comprehension of the chosen topic; extensive display of independent research skills and excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
Display the ability to conduct research independently and show initiative in problem solving.
Demonstrate the ability to gather information and condense it effectively in a clear and coherent argument in the target language, orally or in writing.
Display solid evidence of original analytical thinking.
Display familiarity with citation and referencing techniques (including compiling a bibliography).
Display a high degree of competency in Italian language and grammar.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- T117: BA Chinese & Italian with French year 4 (BA/CHIF)
- T118: BA Chinese & Italian with German year 4 (BA/CHIG)
- T119: BA Chinese & Italian with Spanish year 4 (BA/CHIS)
- R918: BA French & Italian with German year 4 (BA/FIG4)
- R919: BA French & Italian with Spanish year 4 (BA/FIS4)
- R921: BA German & Italian with French year 4 (BA/GIF4)
- R924: BA German & Italian with Spanish year 3 (BA/GIS4)
- R926: BA Italian & Spanish with French year 3 (BA/ISF4)
- R927: BA Italian & Spanish with German year 3 (BA/ISG4)