Business Information Systems
Run by Bangor Business School
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Prof Gareth Griffiths
Overall aims and purpose
To develop effectiveness as a manager of information systems, and as a collaborator with information systems professionals in defining appropriate applications including those in online businesses.
The module will discuss the role of Information systems in business and how they are managed. Particular emphasis will be based upon online models and innovative new businesses that use e-business to a whole or greater extent. Business systems concepts, business processes and business systems are covered but with relevance to real life organisations. This includes communication, networks, software, and models for effective virtual communication. The iImpact of technology on working life, including autonomous cars, and new models of working are analysed. Case studies and many examples will be utilised. How technology is changed and developed including stages in systems development projects, such as analysis, specification, design and implementation will be covered. The role of security and ethics is discussed and issues related to data privacy are discussed
Control and security, in networked environments, including intranet and internet is discussed and issues related to the ethical issues of data are considered. The module concludes with the role of social media on online businesses and the impact of new technologies, including AI on the Internet of Things and FinTech.
Ability to demonstrate the basic comprehension of business information concepts. Some errors in interpretation and application of the concepts to the business practice. 40-49%
Ability to apply concepts in development of business strategies and to recognise factors influencing its implementation in business practice. 60-69%
In addition to the above; ability to critically assess developments of business information systems in the contemporary business environment and reflect upon recent literature and other relevant market information. 70+%
C- to C+
Ability to apply concepts in development of business strategies to a reasonable extent and to recognise some factors influencing its implementation in business practice. 50-59%
Explain and illustrate the nature of business processes and database management.
Explain the contributions of information systems to organisations.
Identify and evaluate organisational applications of information systems.
|EXAM||Exam S2 1.5hrs||
End of module examination
Teaching and Learning Strategy
2 hours per week of taught lectures/class discussions for 12 weeks
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Subject specific skills
- Problem solving and critical analysis: analysing facts and circumstances to determine the cause of a problem and identifying and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
- Commercial acumen: based on an awareness of the key drivers for business success, causes of failure and the importance of providing customer satisfaction and building customer loyalty.
- Innovation, creativity and enterprise: the ability to act entrepreneurially to generate, develop and communicate ideas, manage and exploit intellectual property, gain support, and deliver successful outcomes.
- Ability to work with people from a range of cultures.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Communication and listening including the ability to produce clear, structured business communications in a variety of media.
- Conceptual and critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
- Self reflection: self-analysis and an awareness/sensitivity to diversity in terms of people and cultures. This includes a continuing appetite for development.
Due to the dynamic nature of the topics discussed external reading will be provided through the VLE.
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- NQ26: BA Astudiaethau Busnes a Chymraeg year 2 (BA/ABCH)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 2 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 2 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 2 (BA/BSIT)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 2 (BA/BSSP)
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 2 (BA/BUSALAW)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 2 (BA/BUSCH)
- NM1B: BA Business and Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/BUSLAW1)
- N100: BA Business Studies year 2 (BA/BUSS)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 2 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 2 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 2 (BA/BUSSI)
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/BUSSIE)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/BUSSS)
- R1NC: BA French with Business Studies year 2 (BA/FBS)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 2 (BA/GBS)
- N2N4: BA Management with Accounting year 2 (BA/MAF)
- N500: BA Marketing year 2 (BA/MK)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTFR#)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTGER4)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTITAL)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTSP)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 2 (BA/SPBS)
- N105: BSc Business Studies (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBS)
- N106: BSc Business Stud & Finance (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBSF)
- NN24: BSc Management with Account (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICMNA)
- N503: BSc Marketing (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICMRK)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 2 (BSC/BS)
- N10B: BSc Business Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BS1)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 2 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NN1J: BSc Business Studies and Finance (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/BSFIN1)
- I110: BSc Computer Information Systems year 2 (BSC/CIS)
- I11B: BSc Computer Information Systems (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/CIS1)
- IN00: BSc Computer Information Systems for Business year 2 (BSC/CISB)
- IN0B: BSc Computer Information Sys for Bus (4 year w Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/CISB1)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 2 (BSC/MKT)
- N50B: BSc Marketing (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/MKT1)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/MWACC)
- N2NL: BSc Management with Accounting (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/MWACC1)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science & Business Manage (Subject to Validation) year 2 (BSC/SSB)
- M1N1: LLB Law with Business Studies year 2 (LLB/LBS)
- MN1B: LLB Law with Business (4year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (LLB/LBS1)
Optional in courses:
- N322: BA Banking and Finance year (BA/BIF)
- NN15: BA Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BA/BSM)
- 8N60: BA Business Studies and Marketing (with International Exp) year 2 (BA/BSMIE)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 2 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 2 (BA/MKTFR)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 2 (BA/MKTGER)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 2 (BA/MKTSP#)
- NN44: BSc Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 2 (BSC/ABIE)
- NN43: BSc Accounting and Banking year 2 (BSC/ACCB)
- NN46: BSc Accounting and Banking (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/ACCB1)
- NL41: BSc Accounting and Economics year 2 (BSC/ACCEC)
- NL4B: BSc Accounting and Economics (4 year with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/ACCEC1)
- NL42: BSc Accounting and Economics with International Experience year 2 (BSC/AEIE)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 2 (BSC/BEC)
- L19B: BSc Business Economics (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BEC1)
- L191: BSc Business Economics with International Experience year 2 (BSC/BECIE)
- L192: BSc Business Economics (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBE)
- L193: BSc Financial Economics (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICFE)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 2 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BSC/BSMKT)
- NN1K: BSc Business Studies & Marketing (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/BSMKT1)
- GN41: BSC Computer Science for Business year 2 (BSC/CSFB)
- GN4B: BSc Computer Science for Business (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/CSFB1)
- L111: BSc Financial Economics year 2 (BSC/FINEC)
- L11B: BSc Financial Economics (4 year w Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/FINEC1)