Advanced Spanish 2
Run by School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credits or 10.000 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr David Miranda-Barreiro
Overall aims and purpose
This module aims to develop students' translation and reading comprehension skills through the study of texts varying in style and register. Students will be able to produce more advanced pieces of writing in Spanish and they will develop advanced oral and aural skills through conversation exercises and selected audio-visual materials varying in tone and register. Throughout the module they will learn new vocabulary and will incorporate idiomatically complex expressions into oral and written work. They will develop a more complex understanding of advanced grammatical structures and an ability to use grammatical constructions in written and oral expression, as well as being able to discuss and defend arguments and ideas in group and one-to-one discussions. While from developing linguistic skills, students will also learn to understand key aspects informing contemporary Hispanic identities.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving B1+/B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) Students on this module will be working towards achieving B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR
This module provides continuation from LZS-1001, and aims to enhance the written oral and aural skills of advanced (post A-level) students of Spanish. It comprises text-based classes in which students have the opportunity to enhance their translation and writing skills, as well as oral/aural classes, in which a range of advanced audio and visual aids are employed to stimulate group discussions and debates. Throughout the module, students also have the opportunity extend their knowledge of more complex areas of grammar. The texts and materials used in this module are chosen from a range of sources including media and literary works in order to familiarise students with variations in tone and register, as well as to improve comprehension of different Spanish accents. Through these materials, students will also gain an insight into particular Hispanic themes and issues that relate to contemporary life and society in the Spanish-speaking world. Learning outside of the classroom is supported through a co-curricular Self-Study Portfolio.
40-49%: Limited knowledge of Spanish grammar and vocabulary resulting in a limited ability to communicate in writing or translate from Spanish - English and English-Spanish. Basic understanding of aural and written material in Spanish. Basic grasp of Spanish pronunciation and limited ability to converse freely in Spanish and respond to spoken material. Limited ability to present and defend opinions in written and oral Spanish.
70+%: Excellent knowledge of Spanish grammar and vocabulary resulting in an excellent ability to communicate in writing or translate from Spanish-English and English-Spanish. Excellent understanding of aural and written material in Spanish. Excellent grasp of Spanish pronunciation and clear ability to converse freely in Spanish and respond to spoken material. Clear ability to present and defend opinions in written and oral Spanish.
50-69%: Good knowledge of Spanish grammar and vocabulary resulting in a good ability to communicate in writing or translate from Spanish-English and English-Spanish. Good understanding of aural and written material in Spanish. Good grasp of Spanish pronunciation and some ability to converse freely in Spanish and respond to spoken material. Ability to present and defend opinions in written and oral Spanish.
Understand and translate more challenging written texts varying in style and register.
Produce accurate and idiomatically correct written Spanish.
Engage with Spanish language in spoken form (including different accents) understanding, reacting and responding to it in an interactive context.
Employ advanced grammatical structures in written and oral work.
Demonstrate confidence in extracting and using information presented in Spanish-language sources to answer questions in the target language.
Apply new areas of vocabulary and more complex idiomatic expression to written and oral work.
Explore and evaluate some of the key themes and debates dominating contemporary Spanish culture.
|Self study portfolio||0.00|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
2 weekly conversation based seminars with a cultural component per week for 11 weeks per semester.
1 weekly Translation, Writing and Culture seminar for 11 weeks.
1 weekly Grammar lecture for 11 weeks
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Subject specific skills
- 3. Engaging with, interpreting and critically evaluating short and longer contemporary texts (short stories, films, novels) in the target language (Benchmark statement 5. 8, and 5.9)
- 4. Effective oral communication and presentation skills (including delivery and argument development, discussion and defence) in the target language through individual and/or group discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- 5. The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in oral assignments, showing familiarity with a range of topics and registers in formal and informal situations. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- 6. Develop aural comprehension skills in the target language, supported by a wide range of appropriate materials in different media. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lzs-1002.html
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 1 (BA/ASP)
- N2R4: BA Business Management and Spanish year 1 (BA/BMS)
- NR34: BA Banking/Spanish year 1 (BA/BSP)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 1 (BA/BSSP)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 1 (BA/BUSSS)
- T113: BA Chinese & French with Spanish year 1 (BA/CHFS)
- T116: BA Chinese & German with Spanish year 1 (BA/CHGS)
- T119: BA Chinese & Italian with Spanish year 1 (BA/CHIS)
- T120: BA Chinese & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/CHSF)
- T121: BA Chinese & Spanish with German year 1 (BA/CHSG)
- T122: BA Chinese & Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/CHSI)
- T107: BA Chinese and Spanish year 1 (BA/CHSP)
- MR94: BA Criminology/Spanish year 1 (BA/CRSP)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTSP)
- LR14: BA Economics/Spanish year 1 (BA/ECSP)
- 3YT5: BA English Literature and Spanish year 1 (BA/ELIS)
- QR3K: BA English Language and Spanish year 1 (BA/ELSP)
- R913: BA French & German with Spanish year 1 (BA/FGS4)
- R912: BA French, German & Spanish year 1 (BA/FGS4#)
- R91F: BA French, German & Spanish [with Foundation Year] year 1 (BA/FGS4#F)
- R919: BA French & Italian with Spanish year 1 (BA/FIS4)
- R917: BA French, Italian & Spanish year 1 (BA/FIS4#)
- R1R4: BA French with Spanish year 1 (BA/FS4)
- RR14: BA French and Spanish year 1 (BA/FS4#)
- R914: BA French & Spanish with German year 1 (BA/FSG4)
- R915: BA French & Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/FSI4)
- R1R5: BA French with Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/FSPIE)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 1 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- R924: BA German & Italian with Spanish year 1 (BA/GIS4)
- R925: BA German, Italian & Spanish year 1 (BA/GIS4#)
- RR24: BA German/Spanish (4 years) year 1 (BA/GS)
- R2R4: BA German with Spanish year 1 (BA/GS4)
- R922: BA German & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/GSF4)
- R923: BA German & Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/GSI4)
- 8Y64: BA German and Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/GSIE)
- RV41: BA History/Spanish year 1 (BA/HSP)
- R926: BA Italian & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/ISF4)
- R927: BA Italian & Spanish with German year 1 (BA/ISG4)
- QR14: BA Linguistics/Spanish year 1 (BA/LSP)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTSP)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 1 (BA/MKTSP#)
- P3R4: BA Media Studies with Spanish year 1 (BA/MSSP)
- P3R5: BA Media Stud with Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/MSSPIE)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 1 (BA/MUSP)
- VVR4: BA Philosophy and Religion and Spanish year 1 (BA/PRS)
- R4N2: BA Spanish with Business Management year 1 (BA/SBM)
- 8M74: BA Spanish with Creative Writing (with International Exp) year 1 (BA/SCIE)
- RR43: BA Spanish/Italian year 1 (BA/SI)
- R400: BA Spanish year 1 (BA/SP4)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 1 (BA/SPBS)
- T110: BA Spanish with Chinese year 1 (BA/SPCH)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 1 (BA/SPCW)
- QR54: BA Spanish/Cymraeg year 1 (BA/SPCY)
- R4R1: BA Spanish with French year 1 (BA/SPFR)
- R4R2: BA Spanish with German year 1 (BA/SPG)
- R4R3: BA Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/SPI)
- R4P5: BA Spanish with Journalism year 1 (BA/SPJO)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 1 (BA/SPMKT)
- R4P3: BA Spanish with Media Studies year 1 (BA/SPMS)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 1 (BA/SPSSC)
- NBR4: BSc Business Management with Spanish year 1 (BSC/BMS)
- M119: LLB Law with Spanish (European Experience) year 1 (LLB/LSE)
Optional in courses:
- M100: LLB Law year 1 (LLB/L)
- M11B: LLB Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (LLB/L1)
- M102: LLB Law (International Experience) year 1 (LLB/LI)
- M10P: LLB Law with Placement Year year 1 (LLB/LP)