The University's policy of the University is to:
'As far as is reasonably practicable, manage and control hazards and risks resulting from or arising due to its activities and undertakings and the activities of others where they have an impact upon University staff, students, visitors and volunteers'
In addition to the general requirements of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act, the University and its constituent Colleges and Professional Services departments, have specific obligations under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations to implement sound management practices to avoid, control and/or manage risks to safeguard the health, safety and well-being of staff and those affected by its' undertakings.
Risk Assessments are a fundamental part of this management process and it is hoped the following Policy Standard and Information Sheets will explain both College / Departmental responsibilities with regards to risk assessments and provide practical guidance on how to undertake a risk assessment.
Risk Assessments are also not as difficult or as arduous as people think. They are simply a careful examination of what in the workplace could cause harm, who it could harm eg. staff, students, neighbours, emergency services, the environment so we can then decide if enough is being done to control the risk or if we need to do more.
Please contact Health and Safety, if you have any further questions or concerns regarding the risk assessment process or would like to attend Risk Assessment Training.
Example Risk Assessments can be viewed on the following links:
- BLANK RISK ASSESSMENT FORM
- University Office Environment Risk Assessment
- University Overseas Travel Risk Assessment
- University General Teaching Risk Assessment
- Example Student Placement in Germany Risk Assessment
- Example Student Placement in Kenya, Tsavo National Park Risk Assessment
- Example Academic European City Trip Risk Assessment
- Example Driver and Vehicle Risk Assessment
- Example One Day Trip Risk Assessment
- Example One Day Field Trip Risk Assessment
- Example Exhibition on University Premises Risk Assessment
- Example Hosting a Conference with External Guests Risk Assessment
Please contact Health and Safety for other template RAs.