International Strategic Management
International Strategic Management 2022-23
Bangor Business School
Module - Semester 1
The concepts of strategic management. The vocabulary of strategy; prescriptive and emergent strategies. Strategy, the organisation and the environment. The core processes: strategic analysis; strategy formulation; strategic choice. Vertical integration; make/buy decision; corporate parenting and internationalisation.
Summary of course content Normally an itemised list of the course content, giving a summary of the main themes.
-threshold 50% Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts, operational issues and practice in corporate strategy. Pursue a sustained piece of independent work requiring subject-specific and transferable skills.
-good 60% Demonstrate a critical and evaluative understanding and knowledge of theories, concepts, operational issues and practice in corporate strategy. Show appraising and evaluative insights, creativity and judgement in developing a sustained piece of independent work.
-excellent 70% Demonstrate a critical and evaluative knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts operational issues and practice in corporate strategy and of the sources and methodologies which underpin them. Show appraising and evaluative insights, creativity and evidence-based judgements as well as a capacity to innovate and challenge assumptions from an informed perspective across all components of the assessment.
- Distinguish between and understand the relationship of strategic and operational management.
- Identify and cite the key theorists and concepts
- Understand the dynamics of strategic decision making and implementation and the significance of culture and cultural change.
- Understand the impact of the green agenda on strategy formation and development.
- Use the terminology of strategic management in an organisational context.
- View strategy as a continuing management process and appreciate the dangers of drift.
Assignment: A discussion of a current issue in Strategic Management