Corporate Finance 2023-24
Bangor Business School
Module - PGT
Corporate finance is a key management activity with a broad range of decisions to address. The understanding of the financial manager’s key decisions forms the heart of this module with emphasis on the selection of profitable investments, utilising financial instruments, choosing the best mix of funds, risk and dividend policy. The importance of cash flow and the theories underpinning dividend decisions are emphasised. Students will also gain an understanding of the different types of investment and the returns expected by investors. The module also examines the concept of risk, moving to a review of the nature of capital markets and the nature of the instruments issued and traded within them.
Threshold C- to C+ (50-59%): Satisfactory performance. No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Knowledge of key areas/principles only. Weaknesses in understanding of some areas. Limited evidence of background study. Answer inadequately focused on task and with some irrelevant material and poor structure. Arguments presented but lack coherence. Minor factual/computational errors. Lacking original interpretation.
Good B- to B+ (60-69%): Good performance. Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills. Understands most but not all concepts/issues. Evidence of background study. Focused answer with good structure. Arguments presented coherently. Mostly free of factual errors. Some limited original interpretation. Well known links between topics are described. Problems addressed by existing methods/approaches. Good presentation with accurate communication
Excellent standard: 70+ An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information is accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
- Appropriately apply and critically evaluate the veracity of different strategies and tools used within risk management.
- Critically assess the importance of corporate finance in a contemporary context
- Critically evaluate the subject specific roles, features and relationships within and between firms.
- Demonstrate the ability to make informed judgements and decisions in the context of banking and financial markets;
- Develop a questioning and evaluative understanding of financial services' characteristics and where these services are appropriately and ethically employed.
- Question, critically assess and apply apposite banking and finance theory. Critically evaluate and appropriately apply alternative strategies and tools involved in banking and/or finance.
Exam (Centrally Scheduled)