Sustainable use of non-timber forest products (NTFPs)
Sustainable use of non-timber forest products (NTFPs) 2022-23
School Of Natural Sciences
Module - PGT
- Non-timber forest products (NTFPs): definitions; classification; production systems. Historical perspectives: hunter-gathering; commercialisation; domestication; marginalisation; resurgence.
- Management systems: design and implementation of resource assessment; harvesting rules; sustainable yields; adaptive management; involving people.
- Personal, social and economic use of forest resources and services. NTFP-based small scale enterprise development.
- Trade and markets: certification and green markets; international trade regulation; grey economies; market analysis and development; intellectual property rights
- Policy and strategic planning: law and customary rights; regulation vs. incentives; identifying priorities for intervention.
This is a distance learning module. The module materials include guided reading materials and comprehensive reading list, short Panopto webcasts and interactive discussion forums.
-threshold -Written coursework assessment: submission covers the fundamentals of the topic, but is based mainly on material provided during the module, shows little evidence of supplementary reading or original information and lacks critical analysis.
-good -Written coursework assessment: submission is reasonably well-argued, showing good understanding and knowledge of the topic, evidence of supplementary reading, original information and some critical thought.
-excellent -Written coursework assessment: submission is very well-argued, showing excellent understanding and depth of knowledge of the topic, evidence of substantial supplementary reading, sound collection and use of original information, and much critical thought.
Assessing NTFP resources for sustainable mgmt
NTFP trade and market investigation