Forest Ecosystems 2023-24
School Of Natural Sciences
Module - Semester 2
The module is based on a series of lectures and seminars. The lectures provide a conceptual background and overview. The seminars are conducted by groups of students and provide an opportunity for in-depth study and discussion. Seminars are based on research papers which are critically reviewed and presented by a group of students in the class. The lecturer provides a platform for understanding the topic area and provokes discussion about the background of the paper, assumptions, weaknesses, and politics eg. Why did the author write that?
- Ecosystem Theory
- Ecosystem Processes
- Soil Acidification
- Nitrogen Deposition
- Genetic Diversity
- Tropical Forests
- Be able to discuss biogeochemistry and ecosystem concepts.
- Have an understanding of complex systems.
- Understand concepts of ecosystem stability.
- Understand the destabilisation effects of environmental pollutants.
- Understand the importance of genetic diversity in ecosystem stability.