Leadership and HRM
Leadership and HRM 2023-24
Bangor Business School
Module - Semester 1 & 2
Development of the HR function; Strategic HRM; Human resourcing: human resource planning, recruitment and selection; Human Resource Development: facilitating learning and talent management; Reward and performance management; The employment relationship: grievance & discipline, managing diversity, health & well-being, employee engagement; Integrating HRM: HR as a profession, HR in crisis, manager roles in HR practice; Globalisation and international HRM. Leadership/management development and other aspects of Recruiting, Managing and Resourcing leaders.
Threshold D- to D+ (40-49%) No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
Pass/ Good C- to C+ (50-59%) Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Good/ Very Good B- to B+ (60-69%) Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Excellent/ Outstanding A- to A+ (70%+) Outstanding Performance. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
- Be able to discuss contemporary issues within HRM and Leadership
- Compare and Contrast historical and traditional approaches (Personnel Management) with contemporary strategic approaches (Human Resource Management)
- Understand and discuss the various contexts for Human Resource Management and Leadership including; private sector, public sector, not for profit, co-operatives, small-to-medium sized enterprises
- Understand and evaluate the main concepts of leadership theories, practice and process
- Understand key elements of HRM life cycle including recruitment, retention, rewards and resourcing
Exam (Centrally Scheduled)
Examination 2 hours End of Semester Two Exam
Essay in HRM & Leadership Critical compare and contrast essay