Theory and Interpretation in Archaeology
Theory and Interpretation in Archaeology 2022-23
Ysgol Hanes, y Gyfraith a Gwyddorau Cymdeithas
Modiwl - Semester 1
Topics covered include: Social Identity; Gender, Archaeology; Body-centered research; Material Culture; Landscape; Politics and Nationalism; The Built Environment; Art and Archaeology; Ritual and Religion; Death and Burial.
-threshold -C/50%: will demonstrate an appropriate range or depth of knowledge of at least parts of the relevant field, and will make at least partly-successful attempts to frame an argument which engages with historical controversies. -good -B/60%: will be show a solid level of achievement in all the criteria in the paragraphs above. -excellent -A/70%: will show this solid achievement across the criteria combined with particularly impressive depths of knowledge and/or subtlety of analysis.
- Demonstrate a critical awareness for the theory and application of interpretative methods within the social sciences
- Demonstrate a critical awareness of influential discourses in Archaeology and related disciplines.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of a range of theoretical approaches draw from the social and natural sciences and how these might be used to interpret the past.
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of different theoretical approaches in Archaeology
- Demonstrate the ability to present clear, cogent and evidence-based arguments about ongoing discourses, differing interpretations and theoretical approaches in Archaeology.