MA dissertation 2022-23
School Of History, Law And Social Sciences
Module - Semester 3
The MA dissertation will set the chosen research in its broader context e.g. historiography, theoretical framework, geographical and historical framework. It will set research questions and a structure will be worked out. It will describe and analyse the chosen topic using a range of relevant secondary and primary evidence. The project will be written up in an ordered manner that conforms with conventions set out in the Style Sheet provided for MA students.
-threshold -Threshold students (C/50%) will demonstrate satisfactory research skills in at least parts of their chosen topic, and will make at least partly successful attempts to interrogate and analyse the information and to write up the project in a manner that conforms with the School¿s requirements. -good -Good students (B/60%) will show a solid level of achievement in all the criteria listed in the paragraphs above. -excellent -Excellent students (A/70% and above) will show this solid achievement across the criteria combined with originality, extensive knowledge of the chosen topic in its broader context and subtlety of argument and analysis.
- Construct an effective argument/hypothesis developed from a critical awareness of current theories and approaches in their field of research.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify, collate, and critically analyse primary and secondary source material relevant to their chosen topic.
- Effectively contextualise research material within a broader context.
- Interrogate and critically evaluate research material to identify and construct relevant research questions.
- Utilize the research skills taught in this module to organize, manage, and present a structured and substantial piece of written work in the form of a dissertation.
15000-2000 word Dissertation