Principles of Politics
Principles of Politics: Studying the political world 2023-24
School Of History, Law And Social Sciences
Module - Semester 1
The topics for the Principles of Politics:
- The nature of Politics and Political Analysis
- Politics and the State
- Political Power, Authority and the State
- Democracy and Political Obligation
- Freedom and justice
- Nations and Nationalism
- Traditional Ideologies
- Political Parties
- Civil Society, Interest Groups and Populism
Topics - The nature of Politics and Political Analysis - Politics and the State - Democracy and Political Obligation - Freedom and justice - Nations and Nationalism - Traditional Ideologies - Political Parties - Civil Society, Interest Groups and Populism - Foriegn policy
Skills - Studing politics - Comparison as analysis - Critical reading for Academic study - Essay Writing - Library usage - Notetaking
D/D+/C-/C -threshold -Student's work will display an adequate understanding of the political theories and contacts, use simple comparisons to help explain the contemporary political questions and show basic competence in writing, referencing and discussing on the political issues.
C+/B-/B/B+ -good -Student’s work will display a good understanding of major political theories and concepts and their application to the contemporary political discourse. It will show reflexive competence in the discussion and analysis of the contemporary political issues.
A-/A/A+ -excellent -Student’s work will display the critical thinking and ability to make an academic argument with the use of relevant political theories and use of the empirical evidence. It will show the sophisticated competence in knowledge, writing and referencing.
- Demonstrate familiarity with classical and modern theories of politics
- Show independence in researching sources of information relating to the chosen topic
- Understand key concepts of politics, such as state, power, authority, nation and ideology.
- Understand the nature of the empirical evidence in the academic political debate.
Exam (Centrally Scheduled)
HPS-1002 Multiple Choice Exam