Research Methods 2023-24
School Of Computer Science And Electronic Engineering
Module - Semester 1 & 2
Indicative content includes:
- Research theory basics: paradigms, domains and approaches.
- Contextualisation of Research Methods in relation to BSc project scope.
- Research process: design, planning, and implementation.
- Coping with information overload, selection of secondary sources, their critical evaluation and role in independent research. Structuring literature review to inform theoretical framework and justify selection of methodology.
- Research rationale; setting research objectives and developing hypotheses.
- Primary data collection methods.
- Statistical principles of data analysis.
- Summarising results and arriving to meaningful conclusions.
- Preparing research proposals.
- Professional, legal, social, cultural and ethical issues related to computing/engineering and an awareness of societal and environmental impact of research projects.
- Distinguish the relative worth of different sources of research/information and construct an ordered review of these sources.
- Employ methodologies for planning, conducting and reporting scientific experiments.
- Recognise and employ all appropriate techniques, rules and conventions to communicate with a scientifically literate audience.