Nano-Electronics and High-Speed Design
Nano-Electronics and High-Speed Design 2022-23
School Of Computer Science And Electronic Engineering
Module - Semester 1
• Define NMT and stress its important. Trends in microelectronics, IT and telecommunications. Moores Law outstripped, NMT roadmap • Technical descriptions of the STM and SFM, accompanied by hands-on sessions in the Surface Analysis Laboratory • Application areas. Optics, Chemistry, Robotics, Sensors, Biotech, Biochem, Medicine, IT, Mechanical Eng, Environment, aerospace, automotive. • The ‘Scale of Things’; Microfluidic systems characterized by Dimensionless Parameters • Practical problems of NMT and MNT – Heat generation and dispersal. Making contact to the real world.
-threshold -Equivalent to 50%.Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
-good -Equivalent to the range 60%-69%.Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
-excellent -Equivalent to the range 70%+.Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
- Understand and explain the background, development and application of NMT and their evolution from current high-tech businesses.
- Understand and explain the technical and operating principles of the scanning tunneling microscope (STM) and scanning force microscope (SFM).
- Understand and explain the units of measure in nano- and micro-systems.
- Understand the practical problems of NMT and MNT
In-person written exam