Automation & Robotics
Automation & Robotics (Rhos) 2023-24
Ysgol Cyfrifiadureg a Pheirianneg
Modiwl - Semester 1 a 2
Indicative content includes:
- Appraise the impact of automation and robotics on modern industry and future applications in industry.
- Understand the concepts and principles in automation, robotics and computer vision.
- Understand the basic principles of robot kinematics, localisation and mapping.
- Evaluate the different mechanical configurations available for a modern industrial robot
- Understand the range of types of sensors, actuators and motor hardware used in automation and robotics and their main characteristics.
- Understand the different software methods for sensory processing and motor control.
- Program an industrial robot off-line using kinematic simulation software to perform a specified task.
- Be aware of the safety hazards for automation and robotic applications.
- Apply machine vision to a given application and set up a machine vision system.
- Configure hardware (e.g. cameras, robots) and software (e.g. Matlab, robot simulator) tools to solve a practical problem of sensory-motor control, and demonstrate a working system.
- Develop, test, analyse and evaluate the behaviour of a sensory-motor control system.
-threshold -Equivalent to 40%.Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
-good -Equivalent to the range 60%-69%.Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
-excellent -Equivalent to the range 70%+.Assemble critically evaluated, relevant areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
- Explain the history, nomenclature and requirements of automation and robotics.
- Operate and program industrial robots.
- Relate sensors, actuators and software-controls to the operation of industrial robotics.
History and Background of the Field Essay An essay appraising the impact of automation and robotics on modern industry and future applications in industry
Prototypes and Practical Work A collection of machined prototypes.
Logbook Or Portfolio
Design Portfolio A set of designs, CNC machines instructions and clear identification of limitations and workarounds for the machining of these parts.