Preparing to Coach & Teach
Preparing to Coach & Teach 2023-24
School Of Human And Behavioural Sciences
Module - Semester 1
The module will provide an opportunity for students to develop and refine higher skills of relevance to this context (e.g., an awareness of learning styles, application of psychological skills and motor learning literatures). As such students will develop techniques (e.g., reflective practice, performance profiling) to help them continue to enhance their skills and further their career post-graduation. Students will also learn how to facilitate the skill acquisition of others. In order to provide students with a meaningful experience and setting in which to develop such skills and techniques, students’ study and development will be housed within the context of progression towards (or actually attaining) National Governing Body awards in physical education.
-threshold -Acceptable level of understanding presented
-good -Reasonably comprehensive coverage. Well organised and structured. Good understanding of the material.
-excellent -Comprehensive and accurate coverage of the area clarity of argument and expression. Depth of insight into theoretical issues.
- Competently acquire the required number of coaching qualifications (coaching qualification must meet with assessment of needs and cannot be back dated)
- Complete at least 10 hours (minimum)as a coach/volunteer in either local community clubs, schools (in support of local AYP programme) or in support of organisations such as the Urdd, Youth Organisations e.g. Guides/Scouts/Youth Clubs etc.
- Demonstrate effective and reflective practice and critical self – awareness during work placement e.g. observe and reflect upon examples of good practice and evaluate your own lesson/coaching session.
- Demonstrate their ability to find and apply for a work placement at a Secondary Schools Physical Education department following the completion of a formal letter and CV (minimum one week 5 days work placement)
- Demonstrate their ability to plan, initiate, record, and critically evaluate an appropriate and tailored programme of personal development based on an evaluation of strengths and areas for improvement specific to a Physical Education career path