Exercise is Medicine
Exercise is Medicine 2023-24
School of Psychology & Sport Science
Module - Semester 1
This module will cover the following themes:
Rheumatoid Arthritis Multiple Sclerosis Coronary Heart Disease Breast/Prostate Cancer Introduction to Exercise Rehabilitation and Screening Patients, Exercise Testing, Exercise Prescription
-threshold -(C) Basic knowledge and understanding of the pathophysiology of chronic conditions, preparation of baseline assessments and exercise prescription. Most criteria are met to an adequate standard; there may be a wide range in the quality of the different components.
-good -(B) Good knowledge and understanding of the pathophysiology of chronic conditions, preparation of baseline assessments and exercise prescription. Most criteria are met to a good standard; some may be met to a very good standard.
-excellent -(A) Deep knowledge and understanding of the pathophysiology of chronic conditions, preparation of baseline assessments and exercise prescription. Some criteria are met to an exceptionally high standard; the remainder are met to an excellent standard.
- Confidently and competently present a 10-minute presentation providing an overview of a chronic condition.
- Critically analyse current exercise guidelines, scientific papers and reviews to prescribe suitable exercise programmes for people with a variety of chronic conditions.
- Critically analyse the relationship between physical activity and exercise on health outcomes in a diverse range of participant groups and appreciate the importance of equality.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the pathophysiology, symptoms, and diagnosis of a range of chronic conditions.
- Demonstrate competency in assessing and monitoring the health and wellbeing of a client through appropriate evidence-based testing and exercise prescription/lifestyle intervention, demonstrating professionalism by practising key personal qualities such as compassion, empathy, flexibility, equality, diversity and understanding.
- Prepare suitable and comprehensive health assessments for patients with a range of chronic conditions or for those during recovery from treatment.
In this assignment, students are tasked with developing a comprehensive exercise rehabilitation plan for a case study patient. The assignment requires students to select a specific patient with a chronic condition / post-operative procedure, outline the epidemiology and prevalence of the condition, describe the underlying pathophysiology, and design an evidence-based exercise rehabilitation program tailored to the individual's needs. The essay should cover initial assessments and screening tools, ongoing monitoring methods, progression strategies, and the multidisciplinary team (MDT) involvement.
10-minute audio PowerPoint Presentation on one of the chronic conditions covered in the module.