Exercise is Medicine
Exercise is Medicine 2022-23
School Of Human And Behavioural Sciences
Module - Semester 1
This module will cover the following themes:
Rheumatoid Arthritis Multiple Sclerosis Coronary Heart Disease Breast/Prostate Cancer Introduction to Exercise Rehabilitation and Screening Patients, Exercise Testing, Exercise Prescription
-threshold -(C) Basic knowledge and understanding of the pathophysiology of chronic conditions, preparation of baseline assessments and exercise prescription. Most criteria are met to an adequate standard; there may be a wide range in the quality of the different components.
-good -(B) Good knowledge and understanding of the pathophysiology of chronic conditions, preparation of baseline assessments and exercise prescription. Most criteria are met to a good standard; some may be met to a very good standard.
-excellent -(A) Deep knowledge and understanding of the pathophysiology of chronic conditions, preparation of baseline assessments and exercise prescription. Some criteria are met to an exceptionally high standard; the remainder are met to an excellent standard.
- Confidently and competently present a 10-minute presentation providing an overview of a chronic condition.
- Critically analyse current exercise guidelines, scientific papers and reviews to prescribe suitable exercise programmes for people with a variety of chronic conditions.
- Critically analyse the relationship between physical activity and exercise on health outcomes in a diverse range of participant groups and appreciate the importance of equality.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the pathophysiology, symptoms, and diagnosis of a range of chronic conditions.
- Demonstrate competency in assessing and monitoring the health and wellbeing of a client through appropriate evidence-based testing and exercise prescription/lifestyle intervention, demonstrating professionalism by practising key personal qualities such as compassion, empathy, flexibility, equality, diversity and understanding.
- Prepare suitable and comprehensive health assessments for patients with a range of chronic conditions or for those during recovery from treatment.
10-minute audio PowerPoint Presentation on one of the chronic conditions covered in the module.
Clinical Practical Assessment
You will be required to choose one of the given case studies and prepare a suitable baseline assessment and exercise prescription for your chosen client. You will be required to demonstrate your knowledge and practical skills in a 30-minute practical exam.