Gegenwartssprache II (Erasmus, S1)
Run by School of Arts, Culture and Language
10.000 Credits or 5.000 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Helga Mullneritsch
Overall aims and purpose
- To consolidate key areas of grammar in all areas of the course.
- To develop and test translation skills into and out of German at Honours level.
Advanced translation work. Students should be able to demonstrate confidence in working with demanding texts in both source and the target languages and in presenting sustained and culturally sensitive arguments in German. Students should be able to accurately translate a variety of contemporary English texts into careful idiomatic German, and vice versa.
A- - A*:The best candidates will demonstrate near-native abilities in all the skills tested, with a high level of confidence and flair in their expression, and will be applying the technical aspects of the language in a largely natural manner.
D- - D+: To gain credit, students must display general competence in all skills tested.
C- - B+: Students will show a good range of vocabulary, broad grammatical ability and the ability to express themselves effectively in all the skills required.
Demonstrate in translation work a sophisticated command of both German and English that is alive to the rhetorical range of both languages.
Display an awareness in translation work of the cultural context of particular texts.
|Translation German into English||50.00|
|Translation English into German||50.00|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
Weekly classes in translation
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Subject specific skills
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in sophisticated written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to translate sophisticated passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to read, understand and summarise more sophisticated written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
Courses including this module
Optional in courses:
- N2R2: BA Business Management and German year 4 (BA/BMG)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 4 (BA/BUSSG)
- T105: BA Chinese and German year 4 (BA/CHG)
- T126: Chinese & German with Intl Exp year 3 (BA/CHGIE)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTG)
- QR3F: BA English Language and German year 4 (BA/ELG)
- PR32: BA Film Studies and German year 4 (BA/FSGER)
- RR12: BA German/French year 4 (BA/G4F)
- NR42: BA German/Accounting year 4 (BA/GA)
- NR32: BA German/Banking year 4 (BA/GB)
- R2N2: BA German with Business Management year 4 (BA/GBM)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 4 (BA/GBS)
- T109: BA German with Chinese year 4 (BA/GCH)
- MR92: BA Criminology&CrimJustice/German year 4 (BA/GCR)
- LR12: BA German/Economics year 4 (BA/GEC)
- 3N7S: BA German and English Literature year 4 (BA/GEL)
- R200: BA German year 4 (BA/GER)
- R2W8: BA German with Creative Writing year 4 (BA/GERCW)
- R2N1: BA German with Marketing year 4 (BA/GERMKT)
- R2R1: BA German with French year 4 (BA/GERWFR)
- R12R: BA German and French with International Experience year 3 (BA/GFIE)
- R2W6: BA German with Film Studies year 4 (BA/GFS)
- RR23: BA German/Italian year 4 (BA/GI)
- R2R3: BA German with Italian year 4 (BA/GI4)
- R2P5: BA German with Journalism year 4 (BA/GJO)
- R2P4: BA German with Media Studies year 4 (BA/GMST)
- R2C8: BA German with Psychology year 3 (BA/GPSY)
- RR24: BA German/Spanish (4 years) year 4 (BA/GS)
- R2R4: BA German with Spanish year 4 (BA/GS4)
- 8Y64: BA German and Spanish (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/GSIE)
- R2C6: BA German and Sports Science year 4 (BA/GSPS)
- RV21: BA History/German year 4 (BA/HG)
- QR12: BA Linguistics/German year 4 (BA/LG)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTGER4)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 4 (BA/MUGE)
- VVR2: BA Philosophy and Religion and German year 4 (BA/PRG)
- QR52: BA Cymraeg/German year 4 (BA/WG)