Advanced French 2
Advanced French 2 2023-24
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 2
This module provides continuation from LZF-1001, and aims to enhance the written oral and aural skills of advanced (post A-level) students of French. It comprises text-based classes in which students have the opportunity to enhance their translation and writing skills, as well as oral/aural classes, in which a range of advanced audio and visual aids are employed to stimulate group discussions and debates. Throughout the module, students also have the opportunity extend their knowledge of more complex areas of grammar. The texts and materials used in this module are chosen from a range of sources from the media and literary works in order to familiarise students with variations in tone and register, as well as to improve comprehension of different Francophone accents. Through these materials, students will also gain an insight into particular French themes and issues that relate to contemporary life and society in the French-speaking world. Learning outside of the classroom is supported through a co-curricular Self-Study Portfolio.
- Apply new areas of vocabulary and more complex idiomatic expression to written and oral work.
- Demonstrate confidence in extracting and using information presented in French-language sources to answer questions in the target language.
- Employ advanced grammatical structures in written and oral work.
- Engage with French language in spoken form (including different accents) understanding, reacting and responding to it in an interactive context.
- Explore and evaluate some of the key themes and debates dominating contemporary French culture.
- Produce accurate and idiomatically correct written French
- Understand and translate more challenging written texts varying in style and register.