Year Abroad Re-sit Portfolio Spanish
Run by School of Arts, Culture and Language
15.000 Credits or 7.500 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Eva Bru-Dominguez
Overall aims and purpose
This module is designed to provide an alternative to a semester abroad for students who are unable to go on their compulsory Year Abroad. Students who are unable to go abroad will be enrolled to one module per language of study. The aims of the module are to provide the students with language expose and support remotely, with a focus on oral, aural and intercultural skills, in order to provide an alternative to the compulsory Year Abroad and to prepare students for final year.
The module aims to further develop academic, cultural and linguistic skills which students acquire during their Year Abroad. There will be 3 weekly classes, with a focus on oral, aural and intercultural skills (including practical aspects of life in the country and current social topics). The primary focus should be on enhancing fluency and improving accuracy of spoken language usage, intercultural understanding and cultural insight.Students will receive guidance from a respective language tutor as to an appropriate essay topic
50-69%: Solid comprehension of the chosen topic; adequate display of independent research skills; good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar; good ability to translate the prescribed range of texts.
40-49%: Satisfactory comprehension of the chosen topic; limited display of independent research skills; limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar; limited ability to translate the prescribed range of texts.
70+%: Detailed comprehension of the chosen topic; extensive display of independent research skills; excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar; excellent ability to translate the prescribed range of texts.
Demonstrate an appropriate and correct command of spoken Spanish in an advanced register and lexis. (assessment task 1)
Demonstrate their understanding of the society and / or culture of Spain and Spanish speaking countries. (assessment tasks 1 and 2)
Demonstrate an appropriate and correct command of written Spanish in an advanced register and lexis. (assessment task 2)
Students will write one 750-word essay in the target language on a selection of the materials they will have engaged with as part of their self-directed language learning.
Students will record and submit one 15-min video in which they will respond, in the target language, to questions set by the tutor.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
Students will have 3 weekly classes. Classes will focus on oral, aural and intercultural skills e.g. practical aspects of life in the country and current social topics.
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Subject specific skills
- The ability to function in another culture. (Benchmark statement 5.7)
- The ability to develop intercultural awareness and understanding (Benchmark statement 5.7, 6.10)
- Acquire vocationally oriented experience, where appropriate to the programme. (Benchmark statement 6.10)
- The ability to reflect on and develop language learning skills. (Benchmark statement 6.10)
- The ability to reflect on and develop vocationally oriented skills. (Benchmark statement 6.10)
- The ability to engage in independent study. (Benchmark statement 5.16)
- The ability to complete observation and evaluation reports and keep a self-reflective journal in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4, 5.7)
- The ability to critically understand cultural studies concepts on cultural hybridity and their application to core Italian postcolonial texts. (Benchmark statements 5.7, 5.10).