Social & Behavioural Science
Social & Behavioural Sciences 2023-24
Ysgol Gwyddorau Meddygol ac Iechyd
Modiwl - Semester 1
This module explores the social, psychological, and cultural influences affecting people's health and health-related behaviours. Content focuses on:
- Definitions of health and well-being;
- Behaviour Change - Psychological Perspectives;
- Behaviour Change - Sociological Perspectives;
- Theories and Models of Behaviour Change;
- Social Determinants of Health;
- Social Inequalities.
Excellent / A Grade: To achieve an ‘excellent pass’ on the module, students will be required to demonstrate a thorough and comprehensive understanding of the social and behavioural sciences, and the ability to critically analyse key topics in considerable depth. This will need to be supported by a comprehensive range of appropriate literature.
Good / B Grade: To achieve a ‘good pass’ on the module, students will be required to demonstrate a broad understanding the social and behavioural sciences, and the ability to explore and analyse key topics in depth. This will need to be supported by a good range of appropriate literature.
Threshold / C Grade: To achieve a 'pass’ on the module, students will be required to demonstrate reasonable knowledge and understanding of key topics related to the social and behavioural sciences, and to demonstrate some evidence of critical analysis. This will need to be supported by appropriate literature.
- 3. Critically analyse health and wellbeing, and evaluate the social determinants that affect these.
- 4. Critically discuss the factors that influence health-related behaviours.
- Critically evaluate the factors that influence health-behaviour change. demonstrating an in-depth and critical understanding of psychosocial perspectives
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the prominent theories, models and concepts relating to health, and health-related behaviour.
Issues affecting health behaviour and change.
Write three academic blogs relating to health-related behaviour from a psychological and/or sociological perspective. Each blog will contain a discussion about how the findings of each study contribute to the understanding of people's health behaviour(s) and health-behaviour change.
Newspaper article for a lay audience