Practical Programming 2022-23
Ysgol Gwyddorau Dynol ac Ymddygiadol
Modiwl - Semester 1
We will cover (at least) the following:
General elements of programming (exemplified in Visual Basic):
- Planning your program: What is the problem? How am I going to solve it? How can I break the solution down into steps?
- Variables and Data types: How to declare, use and manipulate numbers, strings, arrays, lists, and (VB) objects.
- Assigning values: How to give a variable a value.
- Scope of variables: local and global variables.
- Arithmetic operations: how to add, subtract, multiply etc
- Simple string manipulations, e.g., concatenation. How to handle and manipulate file names.
- Collections of data: Creating and processing Lists and Arrays.
- Subroutines and functions: What they are for, and the difference between them. Passing arguments to and returning values from functions.
- If... then ...else .. End if statements. How to make a conditional statement.
- Loops: doing something repeatedly: a. For ... Next loops: doing the thing some number of times b. Do Until ... Loop, Do While ... Loop: doing the thing until (or while) some condition is fulfilled.
- Basics of “Object-oriented” programming. Object hierarchies. Object.Method, Object.Property.
Visual interface programming
- Use of the VB programming environment,.
- Graphical user interface (GUI) design.
- Controls: what are they? Controls as objects.
- VB Forms, placing controls on forms, naming controls. Changing properties of controls.
- The object.method and object.property syntax.
- How to manipulate common VB controls: Command buttons, text boxes, list boxes, labels, frames, option (radio) buttons, check boxes, data tables, progress bars etc.
- Standard methods for the common controls. Linking controls to the underlying program.
- File input/output; reading data from a file. Using file dialogs to Open and Save files.
Visual Basic for Applications (VBA): Use in Excel
- Starting VBA in Excel: The programming interface
- Linking VBA to the Excel worksheet.
- The Excel object model: Workbooks, Worksheets, Ranges, Cells.
- VBA program modules, and the VBA UserForm.
- Programming data manipulation in Excel with VB.
-threshold - Adequate answer to the question, largely based on lecture material. No real development of arguments.
-good - Reasonably comprehensive coverage. Well organised and structured. Good understanding of the material.
-excellent - Comprehensive and accurate coverage of the area clarity of argument and expression. Depth of insight into theoretical issues
- Design and program a Windows-type user interface, using a variety of common controls (found in Visual Basic)
- Learn to automate data analyses and other operations in Excel, using Visual Basic for Applications.
- Students will gain an understanding of the central constructs and techniques employed in most computer programming; they will learn to employ these techniques to handle and manipulate data. Students will also acquire skills in visual interface design, allowing other people to easily use their programs.