Postgraduate Portfolio S1
Run by School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Prof Raluca Radulescu
Overall aims and purpose
- To facilitate pathway of M-level Arts and Humanities postgraduates wishing to pursue interdisciplinary studies and/or to gain skills-based learning modules on offer throughout CAH.
- To develop further a critical awareness of research at M-level through the preparation and achievement of a portfolio containing advanced and sustained piece(s) of writing on an appropriate research subject to be determined by student and tutor.
- To equip student with the critical awareness and scholarly skills enabling engagement at an advanced level with a chosen field of research enquiry.
This module is designed to enable to postgraduate to pursue advanced level of research through sustained pieces of writing on a research area to be determined by student and tutor. This module offers the opportunity for the postgraduate to submit a portfolio of work of independent research (guided by tutorial supervision) addressing an enquiry which might not be on offer within the existing range of core and optional postgraduate modules within the existing menu in the home CAH School. The intellectual format of the portfolio will be agreed by tutor and student and will present an ideal outlet in which to demonstrate the student¿s scholarly practices: the ability to construct carefully researched and organised piece(s) of writing; the ability to abide by scholarly practices of notation and referencing; the ability to engage at an advanced level with critical approaches to the chosen field of enquiry; the ability to formulate argumentation at an advanced level.
40-49% Some evidence of substantial and pertinent reading, though with a limited understanding and appreciation. A limited understanding of the implications of some of the concerns of the chosen field of enquiry.
Good 50-59% Some evidence of substantial and pertinent reading, with a sound understanding and appreciation. A good understanding of the implications of many of the concerns of the chosen field of enquiry.
Very Good 60-69% Comprehensive coverage of chosen field of enquiry. High level of organisation and structure. Advanced and sustained level of critical analysis of chosen material.
70%+ Sophisticated and substantial understanding and appreciation of a substantial body of research. Complex and sophisticated appreciation of most of the concerns of the chosen field of enquiry.
Understand and discuss at an advanced level and in a sustained manner aspects of the chosen field of enquiry.
Consider differing critical attitudes to the chosen field of enquiry.
Show an awareness of the interrelationships of text, context, authorship and textual transmission, where appropriate.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
Courses including this module
Optional in courses:
- V9AB: Diploma Medieval Studies year 1 (DIP/MS)
- Q3AB: MA Arthurian Literature year 1 (MA/ALI)
- Q5AQ: MA The Celts year 1 (MA/CEL)
- Q3AS: MA English Literature year 1 (MA/EL)
- V9AC: MA Medieval Studies year 1 (MA/MS)
- Q2W9: MArts English Literature with Creative Writing year 4 (MARTS/ELCW)
- Q320: MArts English Literature year 4 (MARTS/ELIT)