Practical Digital Journalism
Practical Digital Journalism 2022-23
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 1
The course will begin with an introduction to on-line journalism, the influence of new digital technology on journalism and its implications for traditional forms of media. We will also discuss the ethical and legal issues involved in producing on-line content. You will be taught a range of skills including how gather news on-line, write and produce visual and audio content for digital news platforms and how to ensure that content reaches a wide audience. You will be expected to put these skills into practice and create your own digital news platform, create content from that platform and distribute that content to the widest possible audience.
-threshold -DAn understanding of the essentials of law for journalistsAn appreciation of journalistic ethics and responsibilities An understanding of the practicalities of objective reporting -good -(C)CA good understanding of the essentials of law for journalistsA sound appreciation of journalistic ethics and responsibilities A good understanding of the practicalities of objective reporting -excellent -AAn excellent understanding of the essentials of law for journalistsAn excellent appreciation of journalistic ethics and responsibilities An excellent understanding of the practicalities of objective reporting
- Create and evaluate original content for multi-media digital platforms, aiming towards producing a range of items for online news
- Evaluate, select and develop appropriate media platforms such as apps, blogs and social media feeds
- Learn and apply techniques for digital news collection and dissemination
- Show an understanding of the requirements of producing a portfolio of a professional standard
- Show evidence of the development of on-line research and newsgathering techniques, drawing analytically and critically upon a variety of academic and non-academic sources
Coursework produced during the ‘virtual newsroom’ seminars.
A portfolio of three pieces of news content, suitable for publication on-line. One must include text, the other video content, and the other a slideshow or a downloadable podcast. The student must also write a critical analysis of how the news content was developed and presented and what steps were taken to disseminate them on-line.
An on-line web-presence designed so that published content is disseminated to the widest possible audience.