Practical Journalism: ELD
Run by School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credits or 10.000 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Ifan Jones
Overall aims and purpose
This module will require students to build on the writing, broadcasting and newsgathering skills acquired in the Introduction to Journalism. This module will concentrate more specifically on newsgathering in council meetings, the courts and inquests. Students will be taught journalism law and the workings of local, national and devolved government, and then required to apply what they have learnt to writing articles in these fields. They will also develop further the practical writing and newsgathering skills learnt previously.
The course will teach students media law and how to report on the workings of government. They will gain practical experience in reporting from courts, inquests and council meetings. They will also be taught how to write and research news and feature articles, interviewing techniques, and how to cover running stories and elections.
D- to D+
Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence as follows:
- Generally accurate but with omissions and errors.
- Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning.
- Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions.
- Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
A- to A*
Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways:
- Has originality of exposition with the student’s own thinking being readily apparent.
- Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study.
- Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
C- to C+
Submitted work is competent throughout and occasionally distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Good structure and logically developed arguments.
- At least in parts draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are, in the main, backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
B- to B+
Submitted work is competent throughout and distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Very good structure and logically developed arguments.
- Draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Demonstrate a critical knowledge and understanding of media law and the workings of local and national government, etc.
Master personal communication in a variety of journalistic situations
Demonstrate substantial technical media skills which are suitable for journalism
Create and critically evaluate a variety of original content in order to produce items for the press
Master journalistic writing skills for written media
At the end of the module, students will be able to practice advanced research and newsgathering techniques
|Virtual Newsrooms: Eight articles approx 300-800 words||25.00|
|News Articles: 1/2 articles approx 500 words||37.50|
|News Articles: 3/4 articles approx 500 words||37.50|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
Weekly lectures of 1 hour
Weekly practical work 1 hour
Field trip 5 hour x 1
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- Q5P5: BA Cymraeg gyda Newyddiaduraeth year 3 (BA/CN)
- 065C: BA English Literature with Journalism year 3 (BA/ELJ)
- PQ54: BA English Lang & Journalism with International Experience year 3 (BA/ELJIE)
- PQ53: BA English Language & Journalism year 3 (BA/ELJO)
- R1P5: BA French with Journalism year 4 (BA/FRJO)
- R2P5: BA German with Journalism year 4 (BA/GJO)
- V1P5: BA History with Journalism year 3 (BA/HJ)
- 8S11: BA History with Journalism (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/HJIE)
- V1PM: BA Hanes gyda Newyddiaduraeth year 3 (BA/HN)
- P500: BA Journalism (Subject to Validation) year 3 (BA/J)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 3 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BA/JMS1)
- PP54: BA Journalism & Media Studies with International Experience year 3 (BA/JMSIE)
- PP5P: BA Journalism and Media Studies with Placement Year year 3 (BA/JMSP)
- R4P5: BA Spanish with Journalism year 4 (BA/SPJO)
Optional in courses:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CHCS)
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 3 (BA/CPW)
- W89P: BA Creative and Professional Writing with Placement Year year 4 (BA/CPWP)
- W899: BA Creative & Professional Writing with International Exp year 4 (BA/CRIE)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 3 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTSP)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 3 (BA/CWMS)
- 8G55: BA English Language with Creative Writing (with Int Exp) year 4 (BA/ELCIE)
- Q3WL: BA Eng Lang with Creat Writ year 3 (BA/ELCW)
- Q3P3: BA English Lang with Media Stds year 3 (BA/ELMS)
- 2P17: BA English Literature and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/ENCW)
- 2P1P: BA English Literature and Creative Writing with Place Yr year 3 (BA/ENCWP)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 3 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/FLM1)
- W62P: BA Film Studies with Placement Year year 3 (BA/FLMP)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/FSCW)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/FSIE)
- WW39: BA Music and Creative Writing with International Experience year 3 (BA/MCWIE)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/MEN)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 3 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/MSF)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/MSIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- P30P: BA Media Studies with Placement Year year 3 (BA/MSP)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/MSSOC)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/MUSCW)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 3 (BA/PWF)
- W839: BA Professional Writing with Game Design year 3 (BA/PWGD)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 3 (BA/PWM)
- M1W1: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing year 3 (LLB/LCMW)
- M1W2: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing (International Exp) year 4 (LLB/LCMWI)
- M1P1: LLB Law with Media Studies year 3 (LLB/LMS)