Directing and Dramaturgy
Directing and Dramaturgy 2023-24
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 1
Summary of Course Content:
- Introduce theoretical and practical research in the Director and the Dramaturg's Practice.
- Explore rehearsal methods and scene work in directing actors
- Evaluating narrative construction and development through text analysis
- Exploring the collaborative process of developing a live performance from text into production, i.e. looking at the lighting designer, sound designer, set designer, composer's relationship with the director.
-threshold -Threshold (D- to D+) •Knowledge of key areas/principles only •Weaknesses in understanding of main areas •Limited evidence of background study •Performance or written response only poorly focussed on question and with some irrelevant material and poor structure •Arguments presented but lack coherence •Several factual/computational errors/unconvincing performance •No original interpretation •Only major links between topics are described •Weak group skills •Many weaknesses in presentation/performance and accuracy
-good -Very Good/Good (B- to B+) •Comprehensive knowledge •Detailed understanding •Background study •Focussed and well structured written or performance response •Logically presented and defended most arguments •Some to No factual/computational errors/committed and convincing performance •Some Original interpretation •New links between topics are developed •Strong group skills •Very good presentation with accurate communication
-excellent -Excellent (A- to A+) •Comprehensive knowledge •Detailed understanding •Extensive background study •Highly focussed and well structured written or performance response •Logically presented and defended arguments •No factual/computational errors/committed and convincing performance •Original interpretation •New links between topics are developed •Strong group skills •Excellent presentation with very accurate communication
-another level-Good/Satisfactory (C- to C+) •Knowledge of key areas/principles •Understands main areas •Limited evidence of background study •Written or performance response focussed on assignment but also with some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure •Arguments presented but lack coherence •Has several factual/computational errors/mostly unconvincing performance •No original interpretation •Only major links between topics are described •Limited problem solving/satisfactory team work •Some weaknesses in presentation/performance and accuracy
- Been able to identify and discuss the theoretical and practical processes that are required from a director's practice.
- Been an active and creative participant in the process of play
- Has undertaken independent research-based investigation to inform written and practical work.
- Participated in an extended period of practice-based and theoretical exploration to assist in the generation of an original performance.
- Understood the appropriate skills, working methods and approaches required when conducting performance work.
Micro Play Portfolio The Micro Play Portfolio is a document of a director's choices into production. From conceptual research ideas to staging configurations, potential collaborations with lighting and sound and costume designers as well as composers. How would the learner go about to direct their own vision of a particular play? The portfolio will be a digital presentation of text, images, sound and music within a 7-10 minute recorded presentation.
Directing Actors Directing a 15 minute scene to be performed that shows detail research and knowledge of script breakdown, techniques and skills. Demonstrate these skills in action with actors and give notes and implement ideas and techniques in action. Observing a director rehearsal session week 20th November 2023 Performance of Directed scene week 4th December 2023
Directing Monologue work Through preparing initial text analysis and character study, you will be required to prepare and direct another member of the class through a series of rehearsals. 20 minute observation of directing rehearsal - week of 6th Nov 2023 5 minute performance of the directing work - week of 13th Nov 2023