Young Children's Development
Child and Youth Development 2023-24
School Of Educational Sciences
Module - Semester 1 & 2
- Students will study the holistic development of babies and children from birth to three years old, including the following areas: (i) Cognitive development: Acquisition of language and social communication (ii) Physical development: pre-natal development, fine and gross motor skills, development of the senses and sensory processing. (iii) Social and emotional development: attachment and relationships, the impact of neglect, behaviour and developing independence.
- Students will apply their knowledge of the holistic development of the child / youth when they are on work placement, showing they are aware of good practice and current research in the field of childhood and youth development.
- 1. Understand all areas of child development from birth to sixteen years old;
- Apply in the workplace the principles of good practice in the field of childhood and youth on their chosen placement.
- Interpret recent research and the way it can affect practice in education / care settings;
Planning a learning environment