Support for Care Experience
At Bangor University, we place a high priority on caring for and supporting our students. We offer a comprehensive student welfare service, as a student entering Higher Education from care or as someone advising a Care Experience student, you can be assured that Bangor will provide you with the necessary support and information. This support is available while you’re still deciding what or where to study, continues through the university application process, and is on-going once you’ve started your course.
There is a named contact person for Care Experience students within the University’s Student Services, and that is the person you should turn to for help and advice at any stage of your journey into and through Higher Education.
Support for students leaving the care system
At Bangor University, we can provide the following:
- Pre-entry guidance from our Skills and Employability Service, assistance with filling in your Student Finance application form and help and support during the university application and admissions process.
- Peer guide support for all students to help you settle in during Welcome Week and the first few weeks of term.
- Targeted financial support for Care Experience students through the University’s bursary and Hardship Funds. This means Bangor will provide you with a Care Experience Bursary of £1,000 a year, on top of any other University or state-funded bursaries which you may be eligible for.
- An integrated Student Services, offering easy access to money support, housing, disability, mental health and student counselling services.
- Regular meetings between the named contact and students to identify support requirements, with liaison between University departments and external agencies where appropriate (and with the student’s express permission).
- Guaranteed accommodation for all single first year undergraduate students and help planning and arranging your accommodation for both term and vacation time.
- Complete confidentiality for Care Experience students in respect of service provision and specific arrangements.
As a Care Experience student, or as someone advising a student, your first point of contact is: Wendy Williams, Student Adviser in Student Services. Wendy can give you more details on all aspects of the University’s support provision – both prior to admission and whilst studying here.
Contact Wendy on 01248 383637 or e-mail: email@example.com.
We welcome your feedback.
We would welcome your feedback about the service received, to enable us to develop and provide the best possible service now and in the future.
Please contact one of the following with your comments:
|Maria Lorenzini||Director of Student Services|
|Danielle Barnard||Student Support Manager|