Documentary evidence

What evidence of disability do I need to provide to register with Disability Services?

Usually a letter from a GP or consultant outlining your condition and its impact on you will be sufficient. If you have a specific learning difference (SpLD), such as dyslexia, then you will need a post-16 report from an educational psychologist or suitably qualified specialist tutor holding a current assessment practising certificate. We may accept the evidence you had at school, but this will need to be checked by an SpLD Adviser.

In accordance with the University's regulations, any evidence provided will need to be in Welsh or English.

Should I undertake a diagnostic assessment report before I start University for a Specific Learning Difference (for example, dyslexia)?

 If you have a Specific Learning Difference such as dyslexia, then in order to apply for the Disabled Students’ Allowance you will need to provide evidence in the form of a post-16 diagnostic report, written in accordance with the 2005 SpLD Working Group Guidelines, from either:

  • A registered psychologist or

  • A suitably qualified specialist teacher, holding a SpLD Assessment Practicing Certificate.

You can then send a copy of your diagnostic assessment with your application for the Disabled Students’ Allowance before you start University. 

Your DSA Funding Provider will need to approve your application if you qualify. They will then send you an approval letter to arrange a DSA Needs Assessment.  This is an informal meeting with an experienced Needs Assessor to help you decide the kind of support that will help you with your particular needs.

You can choose any DSA Needs Assessment Centre and claim travel expenses.  A list of Assessment Centres can be found at https://dsa-qag.org.uk/students/find-assessment-centre.  We also have a Centre at Bangor who are fully aware of the provision here at Bangor University. 

Putting all of the above in place before you start University will ensure that the support you need is there from the start of your studies.



I had extra time in exams at school/college. Am I entitled to extra time at University?

You may be. You need to register with Disability Services, provide us with documentary evidence and have a Personal Learning Support Plan. Do this as soon as possible.


What are Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)?

DSAs are non means tested grants available to cover some of the extra costs students may have because of a mental health condition; specific learning difference, such as dyslexia, dyspraxia or ADHD; long-term illness; or any other impairment. For further information, including eligibility see here.

Where can I have a Study Needs Assessment for DSAs?

For information on Bangor University's Assessment Centre, see Bangor Access Centre To identify an Assessment Centre near you, see DSA-QAG.

What if I am not eligible for Disabled Students’ Allowances?

There is still support available so arrange to see an Adviser to discuss this. For example, you may be able to loan equipment. The University has a small fund to pay for additional disability support costs for those students who are not eligible for UK Disabled Students' Allowances. To apply, you will need to see an Adviser, provide evidence of disability and undergo a study needs assessment, which may involve your School.

Halls accommodation

Is student accommodation accessible?

Several en-suite rooms in Halls have been designed for wheelchair access, with kitchens containing low level cookers, work surfaces and sinks. Ramps, wheelchair lifts accessible toilet and shower facilities and internet access have been installed in a variety of halls to give students a variety of choice. A number of rooms at different sites are equipped with visual alarm systems and vibrating pagers for students who are deaf or hard of hearing.

You can find out more about our adapted rooms on our accommodation website.

International students

Is there support for international students

Yes, although there is no DSA funding for international students. The University has a small fund to pay for additional disability support costs for those students who are not eligible for UK Disabled Students' Allowances. To apply, you will need to see an Adviser, provide evidence of disability and undergo a study needs assessment, which may involve your School.

Leaving buildings in an emergency

I am unable to walk up or down stairs. What happens in an emergency when I am unable to use a lift?

Safe refuge areas have been identified in all key buildings. These areas are designed to provide people with a safe place in which to await assistance from the Fire Service, whilst remaining in communication with University personnel. Where necessary, our Health & Safety Adviser will draw up an individual Personal Emergency Escape Plan (PEEP) with students.

Further information can be found at Disability Health and Safety. For information on the whereabouts of safe refuge points, see Getting Around Bangor University

Library adjustments

I am unable to fetch books myself from library shelves. Who can help?

If you are identified as eligible for the Book Collection Service on your PLSP (Personal Learning Support Plan) you can request available items to be collected from the shelves ready for you to pick up from the library services desk. If you would like to use this service, please email: library@bangor.ac.uk before 4p.m. The items will be ready for you to collect after 10a.m. the following day. (Mon – Fri). Further information on support in our Libraries, can be found here

I need a printed book in an alternative format, who do I contact for help?

Contact the Library’s Academic Support Officer at library@bangor.ac.uk

How do I obtain documents in an alternative formats?

The University has a site licence for SensusAccess.  This is a self-service solution which allows all BU students and staff to automatically convert documents into a different format, including audio books, e-books and digital braille. https://www.bangor.ac.uk/library/sensusaccess

Library Services Information


I have a Blue Badge but how do I access car parks with barriers?

You will require a parking permit and / or a fob. Blue Badge holders are able to park in Blue Badge bays at any of the University car parks and can apply for a parking permit free of charge as an adjustment within your Personal Learning Support Plan.

Email the Disability Advisers or phone 01248 383620 / 382032. Please note – when parking in a Blue Badge bay you must always display an up-to-date Blue Badge.

I don’t have a Blue Badge but I have mobility difficulties, where am I able to park?

Only Blue Badge holders are allowed to park in Blue Badge bays. If you are not a Blue Badge holder, but have mobility difficulties, you can apply for a Student Parking Permit which will enable you to park at any of the University car parks as an adjustment within your Personal Learning Support Plan. You will need to supply relevant medical evidence and pay the usual charge for a parking permit. Email the Disability Advisers or phone 01248 383620 / 382032. Please note - issue of a permit does not guarantee that a parking space will be available; the demand for parking spaces at some times can exceed the available spaces.

Telling the university about my needs

How do I access support if I didn’t declare disability on my application form?

Book in to see an Adviser to discuss your support options. It’s useful if you can bring along some documentary evidence.


Keeping in touch

How do the Advisers keep in touch?

Once you have registered with Disability Services and have had a PLSP drawn up, you are welcome to make an appointment to see an Adviser as necessary within usual office hours. You may prefer to email us, and we will respond as soon as we can within office hours.

In addition, we will keep in touch with you through a number of means:

  • By emailing you – for example, sending you reminder messages about the deadline for booking in exam adjustments, or other timely information.
  • By responding to your emails.
  • Emailing you our quarterly Newsletter.
  • By offering you an appointment if we need to see you.
  • Offering daily drop-in sessions for 1-2-1 specialist tutoring (term time only).
  • Offering weekly drop-in sessions on Wednesday afternoons in Pontio with the Mental Health Advisers (term time only – look out for our poster).

There is also a tick box in PLSPs which Advisers can check if they wish to send you a review appointment each semester – just to catch up with you to see how things are going.





















Updated 08.11.18