Initial Teacher Education (ITE) Priority Subject Incentive 2022-23
ITE priority subject incentives are grants available to eligible students who undertake a postgraduate ITE programme in Wales that leads to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Availability of Teacher Training Incentives is announced by the Welsh Government on an annual basis.
Priority Subjects 2022 to 2023
To be eligible for an ITE priority subject grant, a person must hold a degree qualification of 2.2 or higher and be studying wholly or mainly in one of the following subjects:
• Design & Technology
• Information Technology
• Modern Foreign Languages (MFL)
What grant is available and when are students paid
Under this scheme an incentive grant of £15,000 is available to all students who meet the eligibility criteria.
The incentive payments totaling £15,000 will be made in three instalments at the following points during a student’s ITE programme and early career:
• £3,000 in January following completion of the first term of their PGCE.
• £6,000 in July/August* on successful completion of their PGCE and award of QTS.
• £6,000 on successful completion of Induction in Wales.
The incentive payments totaling £15,000 will be made in four instalments at the following points during a student’s part-time ITE programme and early career:
• £1,500 in January following completion of the first term of their PGCE
• £1,500 in January following completion the first year and the first term of the second year of their PGCE.
• £6000 in July/August* on successful completion of their PGCE and award of QTS.
• £6000 on successful completion of Induction in Wales.
For further information about this incentive, click on this link to the Welsh Government webpage:
Bursaries for PGCE students who are not eligible for Teacher Training Initiatives
Bangor University has introduced bursaries for PGCE students from the EU and UK outside of Wales*, who are NOT eligible to receive the Teaching Training Incentives. These bursaries will be assessed on a student’s taxable household income and awarded in the second semester.
Taxable Household Income
Bangor Bursary Award
£25,000 or less
£25,001 - £40,000
Further information about the Bangor Bursaries is available on this page of the University website:
*ALL Welsh students will receive a non-means tested £1,000 Welsh Government Learning Grant from the Welsh Government instead of the Bangor Bursary.
Graduate Loyalty Discount
Bangor University offers a £500 fee reduction discount to all Home / EU self-funding former students of Bangor University who have graduated with an honours degree, and a £1,000 fee reduction discount to all International self-funding former students of Bangor University who have graduated with an honours degree*.
To be eligible for the Graduate Loyalty Discount you must:
- Have graduated from an undergraduate programme at Bangor University
- Successfully apply and subsequently register for full-time study on one of our eligible taught Masters degrees (i.e. PGCE Primary or Secondary, MA, MSc, MBA, LLM. Excludes MRes degrees)
For further information visit the following website.
Please create a new tab Cyrsiau TAR https://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentservices/moneyadvice/undergraduate.php.cy and change inform on this page to the following https://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentservices/moneyadvice/pgce.php.en