- What is counselling?
- Who are we?
- What do we offer?
- Support Sessions
- Workshop Programme
- Making an appointment
- How to find us / opening times
- Other emergency and support services
- Accessing your Records
- Equality Statement
- Worried about Someone
- What Students say about our Service
- Self-help links, Podcasts and APPS
- Information Handouts
Self Help Resources
Did you know that the Counselling Service runs iCan groups and workshops for students throughout the academic year to help you to understand yourself better and to learn helpful coping strategies for managing a range of difficulties, such as the Building Resilience series on managing stress / low mood / anxiety and iCan Overcome Procrastination / Perfectionism? Please see our workshop programme for further information.
Workbooks & Online Courses
This section covers self-directed help on common issues, such as anxiety (including health anxiety and social anxiety), assertiveness, bereavement, depression, eating disorder, self-esteem, self-harm etc. You may find that working through a workbook and following the given guidance to make some changes are sufficient to overcome your difficulties. Click here for further information
Free to download mental health apps. Click here
Useful sites & information
Listed below are sites to self-help information and tools, in alphabetical order.
For common issues, such as stress, anxiety and low mood, look at our Workbooks & Online Courses and Apps section above.
- Abuse / Sexual Violence
- Addiction (including misuse of alcohol & drugs, gambling)
- Anxiety (including social anxiety, panic & OCD)
- Assertiveness & Confidence Building
- Bullying / Harassment / Stalking
- Eating Disorders
- Homesickness / Loneliness
- Low Mood / Depression
- Mental Health – How to improve it
- Physical Health (including pregnancy advice)
- Relationship Issues (including housemates)
- Relaxation / Stress Management
- Sex & Sexuality
- Study / Exams (including procrastination & perfectionism)
- Suicide Awareness
- Trauma / Post-traumatic Stress
If you cannot find what you are looking for, you could try the following links on the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) website.
BACP: Further Sources of Help – Helpful contact sheets on a range of topics, containing details for a variety of specialist charities and organisations
BACP: Useful Links
Big White Wall:
Feeling low or stressed? Big White Wall can help you start to take control and get the support you need to feel better.
Join a course; post a talkabout; find useful stuff.
Free to BU students.
Go to https://www.bigwhitewall.com to join a supportive, anonymous community today.
Mental health information in non-English
This website lists a number of mental health service providers worldwide that offer information in languages other than English.
Last updated: Sept 2017