What happens if I fail the year and need to repeat?

Once your School and the University’s Exam Board have met you will be able to see your marks in ‘MyBangor’. If you have not done sufficiently well to pass the year you will be offered one or more of the following options:

  1. Offered re-sits in August
  2. Offered the chance to take failed modules next year
  3. Offered the chance to sit failed modules as an external candidate (eg no attendance required and no access to university facilities) next year
  4. In exceptional circumstances you may be given the chance to repeat the whole year
  5. Offered the chance to change degree

Unless you intend to take re-sits in July you will need to complete a Notification of Intention form
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ar/main/publications/documents/NOTIFICATIONOFINTENTIONFORM.pdf and return it as indicated. You will be advised if you need to do this.

If you decide to take options 2, 3, 4 or 5 there will be financial considerations that you will need to bear in mind.

As a general rule students who receive funding from Student Finance are entitled to receive funding for the duration of their original course, plus one additional year, (ie 4 years of funding if you are following a 3 year course). So, providing you have not had any previous degree level study or repeated any academic years so far, you will be entitled to the same package of financial support in 2014/15 that you received this year.

As long as you are registered for modules in both semesters you will be eligible for student finance for the whole year.

With regards to tuition fees you will be charged on a per module basis. The fee for sitting as an external candidate will vary depending on the number of modules you take. For the exact cost please see: http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ar/main/fees/includes/euhome1415.pdf

Students taking 100 credits or more will be charged full fees.

As soon as you are notified that you have to repeat all or part of the year you should inform your student funding organisation. You can amend your student finance application by logging into your on-line account using one of the following website links:

If you have previously studied a degree level course or repeated any previous academic years, your entitlement to student finance may be affected.  To determine your funding entitlement you should contact your student funding organisation or speak to staff in the Money Support Unit.

Mitigating Circumstances
If you have experienced illness, bereavement or additional caring responsibilities that may have impacted on your studies you can appeal to your student funding organisation to award you an additional funded year.  For more information please contact staff in the Money Support Unit or student funding organisation.

Publication date: 27 July 2018