Resources and Facilities
Assistive Technology Rooms
The university has two Assistive Technology Rooms (ATRs); one in the Main Arts Library, and one in the Deiniol Library.
In Main Arts, the room is situated in the Social Learning Area on the ground floor. The Room houses two computers, a Braille embosser and a Rainbow ScannaR (designed for users with visual impairments).
- EasyConverter (creates accessible Word documents).
- OpenBook (converts printed documents or graphic-based text into an electronic text format , using speech and optical character recognition (OCR) technology), large print, MP3 audio, DAISY talking books and Braille).
JAWs screen reader.
The Deiniol Library ATR, is situated in Room A004, opposite the library issue desk, it contains computers with various different monitors, a height adjustable desk and adjustable seating. It also houses a CCTV system and equipment to produce tactile diagrams.
Equipment / Assistive Technology for Loan
Disability Services has a small loan pool of equipment and assistive technology that can be loaned to students, subject to availability and assessed need, including:
- Laptop and notebook computers
- Digital voice recorders
- LiveScribe Echo Smartpens
- Portable CCTV
- Ergonomic equipment
- TextHelp Read & Write Gold
- Inspiration mind mapping software
- SuperNova Magnifier & Screenreader
Other resources / facilities
- Dyslexia Team resource base of equipment, including reference books, spellcheckers, etc.
- Induction loops in large lecture theatres and busy reception areas.
- Portable loop system and radio aid to loan to students as required.
- Portable infra red transmission equipment for use in smaller lecture rooms.
- Visual alarms and vibrating pagers in Halls of Residences.
- Portable computers.
For further information, contact Disability Services.