Arizona Desert Ecology and Herpetology
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Wolfgang Wuster
The aims of this module are to promote:
An understanding of the physiological, morphological and behavioural adaptations of animals, especially reptiles and amphibians, to desert conditions.
An appreciation of the diversity of reptiles and amphibians in the southwestern USA, their distributions, habitats, niches and biogeography.
Herpetological and general biological field skills and experience: location, observation, capture methods, handling, safety, note-taking, notebook skills.
10 day field course in Arizona and New Mexico or equivalent areas, focused on herpetology and desert ecology.
Prepare for field course by background reading. Carry out field excursions to habitats, including both daytime and nighttime fieldwork and lab work. Learn about the habitats and fauna by a variety of means, including personal observations, talks by BU and local staff. Observe and record animal behaviour and habitat by various means that may include photography, video recording and/or sketching.
Under staff supervision, practice capturing and handling of fauna, particularly reptiles and amphibians, while observing ethical and safety protocols. Carry out species identification using field guides and keys. At the end of the fieldwork, an assignment will be set which will include numerical analysis of data, observations or material collected in the field.
Can record observations thoroughly, systematically and clearly, without significant omissions, taking trouble to find out details of identification to fine taxonomic level or to uncover theories of the function and evolution of the behaviour observed. Clear evidence of original, unguided observations. Exhibits clear awareness of the ecologica, biogeographical or environmental context of observations. Presents findings accurately and succinctly with clarity, imagination, originality and strongly-developed aesthetic sense. Able to identify most organisms to species level, with evidence of thoroughness and awareness of potential pitfalls.
Grade A (70-100%)
Good: Can record observations clearly and systematically, with a grasp of the practical issues relating to collection and presentation of data/observations, and few major omissions. Exhibits strong knowledge of habitats and biota visited. Shows awareness their ecological, biogeographical and environmental context. Able to identify a majority of organisms to the appropriate level (usually species). Presents findings accurately and with flair, clarity and originality. Grade B (60-69%)
Threshold: Can record observations in a reasonably clear and systematic fashion and has some grasp of the practical issues relating to collection and presentation of data/observations. Considerable inconsistencies in note-taking remain. Exhibits some knowledge of habitats and biota visited and the relevant conservation/ management issues, although this may be very incomplete and contain significant errors. Presents findings largely accurately and clearly. Able to identify most organisms at least to the level of major group. Grade D & C (40-49%)
Demonstrate identification skills and knowledge relating to fauna of visited regions.
Demonstrate the ability to make detailed, thorough and original field observations and to record and present them systematically.
Demonstrate the skills necessary for self-managed and lifelong learning (undertaking directed reading, time management, working to a deadline)
Demonstrate understanding of the factors governing distribution and habitat use and niche partitioning in animals.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Pre-departure lectures on preparations, safety, assessment etc.
Short talks in Arizona on topics relevant to the day's activities
Post Arizona lecture introducing post-fieldcourse assessment,
Small project on niche partitioning in reptiles
Fieldwork involving morning walks, afternoon seminars, evening excursions (walks, night-driving).
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students pay for cost of field course through three deposits spread through the latter parts of Year 1 and the summer before Year 2. Typical costs in recent years (2017 and 2018) were of the order of £1550-1600, but this depends on air fares in any given year and exchange rate fluctuations. This includes flights, accommodation, food for 7 out of 10 days, local transport and fuel. In recent years, we have recommended bringing approx. US$200 for additional food, snacks etc. Student are also responsible for acquiring suitable field clothing and sun protection (robust boots, sun hat, high SPF clothing, sun screen etc.)
Brennan, T.C. & A.T. Holycross (2006) A Field Guide to Amphibians and Reptiles in Arizona. Arizona Game & Fish Department, Phoenix.
Hutchinson, G.E. (1957). "Concluding remarks". Cold Spring Harbor Symposia on Quantitative Biology 22 (2): 415–427.
Jones, L.L.C. & R.E. Lovich (Eds.) (2009) Lizards of the American Southwest. A Photographic Field Guide. Rio Nuevo Publishers, Tucson.
Rubio, M. (2010) Rattlesnakes of the United States and Canada. ECO Publishing, Rodeo, New Mexico.
Stebbins, R.C. (2003) A Field Guide to Western Reptiles and Amphibians. Houghton Mifflin, Boston.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C100: BSC Biology year 2 (BSC/B)
- C10F: BSc Biology year 2 (BSC/BF)
- C511: BSc Biology with Biotechnology year 2 (BSC/BIOT)
- C512: BSc Biology with Biotechnology with International Experience year 3 (BSC/BIOTIE)
- C102: BSc Biology (with International Experience) year 3 (BSC/BITE)
- C300: BSC Zoology year 2 (BSC/Z)
- C305: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour (with International Exp) year 3 (BSC/ZABIE)
- C3L2: BSC Zoology with Conservation year 2 (BSC/ZC)
- C319: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies year 2 (BSC/ZCC)
- C327: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies w International Exp year 3 (BSC/ZCCIE)
- C3L3: BSc Zoology with Conservation with International Experience year 3 (BSC/ZCIE)
- C3L4: BSc Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZCP)
- C30F: BSc Zoology year 2 (BSC/ZF)
- C304: BSC Zoology with Herpetology year 2 (BSC/ZH)
- C307: BSc Zoology with Herpetology (with International Experience) year 3 (BSC/ZHIE)
- C34P: BSc Zoology with Herpetology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZHP)
- C324: BSc Zoology with International Experience year 3 (BSC/ZIE)
- C3C1: BSc Zoology with Marine Zoology (with International Exp) year 3 (BSC/ZMB)
- C350: BSC Zoology with Marine Zoology year 2 (BSC/ZMZ)
- C36P: BSc Zoology with Marine Zoology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZMZP)
- C329: BSc Zoology with Primatology year 2 (BSC/ZP)
- C32P: Zoology with Primatology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZPP)
- C330: BSc Zoology with Ornithology year 2 (BSC/ZR)
- C3P0: BSc Zoology with Ornithology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZRP)
- C3D3: BSC Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 2 (BSC/ZWAB)
- C3DP: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZWABP)
- C101: MBiol Master of Biology year 2 (MBIOL/BIO)
- C510: MBiol Biology with Biotechnology year 2 (MBIOL/BIOT)
- C302: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 2 (MZOOL/AB)
- C30P: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with Placement Year year 2 (MZOOL/ABP)
- CD34: MZool Zoology with Conservation year 2 (MZOOL/CONS)
- CD3P: MZool Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 2 (MZOOL/CONSP)
- C303: MZool Zoology with Herpetology year 2 (MZOOL/HERP)
- C3HP: MZool Zoology with Herpetology with Placement Year year 2 (MZOOL/HERPP)
- C325: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with International Exp year 3 (MZOOL/ZAIE)
- C321: MZool Zoology with Climate Change year 2 (MZOOL/ZCC)
- CD35: MZool Zoology with Conservation w International Experience year 3 (MZOOL/ZCIE)
- C326: MZool Zoology with Herpetology with International Experience year 3 (MZOOL/ZHIE)
- C353: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology year 2 (MZOOL/ZMZ)
- C354: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology with International Exp. year 3 (MZOOL/ZMZI)
- C37P: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology with Placement Year year 2 (MZOOL/ZMZP)
- C306: MZool Zoology (with International Experience) year 3 (MZOOL/ZOIE)
- C301: MZool Master of Zoology year 2 (MZOOL/ZOO)
- C333: MZool Zoology with Primatology year 2 (MZOOL/ZP)
- C33P: MZool Zoology with Primatology with Placement Year year 2 (MZOOL/ZPP)
- C334: MZool Zoology with Ornithology year 2 (MZOOL/ZR)
- C3P4: MZool Zoology with Ornithology with Placement Year year 2 (MZOOL/ZRP)