Strategic Environmental Manag
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Heli Gittins
This module is designed to provide an understanding of the principles of sustainable development, environmental legislation, environmental auditing and assessment, and green technological development. Specific topics include: • Sustainable development – limits to growth, TEEB, Stern Review, global challenges, RIO+20, global economy, green economy, climate change & resources, behaviour change, corporate social responsibility and socially responsible investment • Environmental monitoring - Life cycle analysis - ISO14040, foot-printingEnvironmental legislation – global (e.g. Montreal, Kyoto), Regional, National) • Environmental auditing – EMS, green dragon, ISO14001 • Environmental assessment – SEA, EIA, risk assessment, HIA
This module will cover the multicriteria principles and practice of environmental management, auditing, and assessment; including related policy and legislation. Specific monitoring tools will include Environmental Impact Assessment; Strategic Environmental Assessment; and Life Cycle Analysis. Real-life examples will be used as case studies to analyse the different techniques including scenarios from many different levels (local, UK, and international) so that comparisons can be made and the validity of systems assessed. The process of collection, collation, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of information in terms of auditing will be explored. The relevance and role of environmental legislation and auditing will be compared between the public and private sector. Issues of corporate social responsibility will be examined through a case study approach. The module will include field trips to contrasting sites where environmental monitoring, assessment and legislation play a fundamental role.
The student displays a basic understanding of the principles and practices of environmental management; in addition to the policy and legislative frameworks within which they can operate. Most of the key issues are identified but there may be some omissions or gaps in understanding. Links between theory and practice are not well developed.
In addition to the above: the student should demonstrate an understanding of the principles of appropriate monitoring tools and the relevant policy and legislative frameworks within which they operate. They should also display an understanding of how such environmental management requirements influence current practice by private and public bodies. The student is able to evaluate and compare different methods of environmental monitoring tools.
The student demonstrates a comprehensive knowledge of the different aspects of environmental management. There are no major areas omitted and the student demonstrates an ability to critically analyse and evaluate relevant information. Evidence of considerable effort and thought to construct management plans for a given scenario of high standard, demonstrating an excellent grasp of all major issues.
Understand environmental and sustainability principles in a business context
Appreciate key environmental policy and legislative issues, and compliance measures
Be able to apply key environmental management and assessment tools
Be able to analyse environmental problems (including data analysis) and opportunities and identify sustainable solutions and improvement programmes
Understand the importance of stakeholder communication as well as how to influence behaviour to effect change within an organisation
Examination on course content, except policy and legislative issues, which are covered by a multiple choice questionnaire January
|PRAWF DEALLTWRIAETH||Multi Choice Questionnaire - Policy and Legislation||
A multiple choice questionnaire to cover policy and legislation - Open book, launched 09:00 Monday and closing 17:00 Friday of Week 10
|CYFRANOGIAD DOSBARTH||Energy Audit||
A group work activity carrying out and reporting on an energy audit
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Minimum of 120 hours non-contact study.
34 hours of lectures/workshops
Minimum of 15 hours practical projects throughout the module
Visit to Environmental Manager
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Awareness of the concepts of spatial and temporal scale in understanding processes and relationships.
- Appreciation of the reciprocal nature of human-environmental relationships.
- Apply appropriate techniques for presenting spatial and/or temporal trends in data.
- Preparation of effective maps, diagrams and visualizations.
- Engage in debate and/or discussion with specialists and non-specialists using appropriate language.
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of risk assessment and relevant legislation
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-4524.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F850: Master of Environmental Science year 4 (M/ENVSCI)
- N2AU: MBA Environmental Management year 1 (MBA/EM)
- N2BB: MBA Environmental Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MBA/EM1)
- D4AE: MSc Environmental and Business Management year 1 (MSC/EBM)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- F801: MGeog Geography year 4 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 5 (MGEOG/GIE)