Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Lorrie Murphy
The module aims to provide students with the opportunity to develop and practice skills that underpin chemistry research methodology. The students will be able to reflect upon the nature of the scientific method, ethics and methods for dissemination of science. The students will be able practice researching and summarising literature on an advanced chemical topic related to their dissertation project. They will also develop their project management skills and use these to plan and monitor activities they will undertake as part of their 3rd year undergraduate studies.
The main topics covered are:-
- Identifying and retrieving chemical research information (from peer reviewed journals and academic databases)
- Organising, summarising and integrating the chemical literature.
- Individual presentation skills (on the dissertation topic)
- Project management tasks- focusing on project planning and monitoring.
- Poster presentation on a general chemical topic
- Participate in career/employability workshops
Course Team: Dr L Murphy (12 h), R. Kantcheva (2) Employability (1 h) non credit bearing. Additional recorded material will be provided (3 h).
RESOURCE IMPLICATIONS ESSENTIAL READING 1. Study and Communication Skills for the Chemical Sciences Tina Overton, Stuart Johnson, and Jon Scott 2011 (OUP) RECOMMENDED READING none SPECIFIC RESOURCE IMPLICATIONS FOR STUDENTS It is expected that students will purchase or have ready access to the essential text books above
Good (~60%). Knowledge base covers all essential aspects of subject matter dealt with in the programme and shows good evidence of enquiry beyond this. Conceptual understanding is good. Problems of a familiar and unfamiliar nature are solved in a logical manner; solutions are generally correct and acceptable. Performance in transferable skills is sound and shows no significant deficiencies.
Excellent (>70%). Knowledge base is extensive and extends well beyond the work covered in the programme. Conceptual understanding is outstanding. Problems of a familiar and unfamiliar nature are solved with efficiency and accuracy; problem-solving procedures are adjusted to the nature of the problem. Performance in transferable skills is generally very good.
Threshold (40%). Knowledge and understanding of the content covered in the course is basic; Problems of a routine nature are generally adequately solved; Transferable skills are at a basic level..
Students will be able to prepare a planning and communication portfolio for their 3rd year studies ( Gantt Chart and poster)
Students will be able to identify and organise a list of 5-10 research papers relevant to their 3rd year project area.
Students will be able to demonstrate the ability to disseminate information about the background chemistry and context related their to third year dissertation.
|Dissertation Project Presentation||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- CC5 Skills in the generation, evaluation, interpretation and synthesis of chemical information and data
- CC6 Skills in communicating scientific material and arguments
- CC7 Information technology and data-processing skills, relating to chemical information and data.
- PS1 Communication skills, covering both written and oral communication with a variety of audiences
- PS2 Skills in the employment of common conventions and standards in scientific writing, data presentation, and referencing literature
- PS5 Information location and retrieval skills, in relation to primary and secondary information sources, and the ability to assess the quality of information accessed
- PS7 Basic interpersonal skills, relating to the ability to interact with other people and to engage in teamworking
- PS8 Time management and organisational skills, as evidenced by the ability to plan and implement efficient and effective ways of working
- PS11 Problem-solving skills including the demonstration of self-direction, initiative and originality
- SK1 Are fully conversant with major aspects of chemical terminology
- SK2 Demonstrate a systematic understanding of fundamental physicochemical principles with the ability to apply that knowledge to the solution of theoretical and practical problems
- SK6 Develop an awareness of issues within chemistry that overlap with other related subjects
- SK7 Develop knowledge and understanding of ethics, societal responsibilities, environmental impact and sustainability, in the context of chemistry
- SK9 Read and engage with scientific literature
- PS10 other relevant professional skills such as business awareness
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F100: BSC Chemistry year 3 (BSC/C)
- F102: Chem with Europ Exper year 4 (BSC/CEE)
- F105: BSc Chemistry with International Experience year 4 (BSC/CHIE)
- F103: BSC Chem with Ind Exper year 4 (BSC/CIE)
- F104: MChem Chemistry year 3 (MCHEM/CH)
- F106: MChem Chemistry with International Experience year 4 (MCHEM/CHIE)
- F101: MChem Chemistry with Industrial Experience year 4 (MCHEM/CIND)