Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr David Edward Perkins
This module will provide you with the mathematical skills and knowledge needed for degree-level study. The module will focus on essential mathematical and statistical skills and techniques and will prepare you to utilize these in a subject-specific context during your degree studies.
Topics areas covered in this module may include: Algebra and Functions: understand and use the laws of indices. Solution of linear and quadratic equations and manipulation of formulae. Solution of simultaneous equations. The use of fractions.
Statistical Sampling: the importance of sample populations in the statistical analysis of data understand and the use sampling techniques, including simple random, systematic and opportunity sampling. Selection and critique of sampling techniques in the context of a statistical problem.
Data presentation and Interpretation: Histograms and their relationship to statistical distributions. Scatter diagrams and correlation. Measures of central tendency and variation, including standard deviation. Dealing with outliers in datasets.
Probability: understanding independent and mutually exclusive events. Conditional probability. Venn diagrams. Tree diagrams. Calculating probabilities.
Statistical Distributions: understand and use probability distributions, including the normal distribution and binomial distribution. Use of different distributions to model real world situations and evaluate their appropriateness.
Statistical hypothesis testing: understand and apply the language of hypothesis testing. Conduct statistical hypothesis tests, including in relation to the normal or binomial distribution.
Grade A- and above An excellent understanding of mathematical and statistical techniques with virtually no errors. Is able to formulate appropriate solutions to accurately solve tasks and questions with virtually no inaccuracies and misconceptions evident. Outputs can be understood, which demonstrate excellent structure and/or coherence.
Grade D- to D+ Basic understanding of mathematical and statistical techniques but some errors present. Is able to formulate appropriate solutions to accurately solve tasks and questions but with some inaccuracies and misconceptions evident. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
C- i C+
Grade C- to C+ A clearer understanding of mathematical and statistical techniques. Is able to formulate appropriate solutions to accurately solve tasks and questions but with some minor inaccuracies and misconceptions evident. Outputs can be understood, with possible improvements to structure and/or coherence.
Grade B- to B+ A good understanding of mathematical and statistical techniques with few errors. Is able to formulate appropriate solutions to accurately solve tasks and questions with only very minor inaccuracies and misconceptions evident. Outputs can be understood, which demonstrate good structure and/or coherence.
Correctly solve mathematical problems.
Correctly utilize statistical techniques to analyse data.
Understand risk, probability and variation in statistics
Understand and evaluate assumptions made when modelling or solving problems
|Test 1: algebra and functions||20.00|
|Test 2: sampling, data presentation and probability||20.00|
|Test 3: distributions and hypothesis testing||20.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
24*2 hour lectures
12*1 hour tutorials
Time spent working on guided and independent study and on the preparation of assignments.
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Analyse and display data using appropriate methods and mathematical techniques;
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students will be required to access online resources. Use of personal computers or University facilities will enable this.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ice-0101.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H61F: BEng Electronic Engineering year 0 (BENG/ELEF)
- C10F: BSc Biology year 0 (BSC/BF)
- IN02: BSc Computer Information Systems for Business (Franchised) year 0 (BSC/CISBF)
- G40F: BSc Computer Science year 0 (BSC/CSF)
- F90F: BSc Environmental Science year 0 (BSC/ESF)
- F62F: BSc Geological Oceanography year 0 (BSC/GEOF)
- C16F: BSc Marine Biology year 0 (BSC/MBF)
- C80F: BSc Psychology year 0 (BSC/PSF)
- C61F: BSc Sport & Exercise Science with Foundation Year year 0 (BSC/SESF)
- C30F: BSc Zoology year 0 (BSC/ZF)