Conducting Successful Research
Rhedir gan School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Gavin Lawrence
For a successful career in all Sport, Health, Clinical, and Exercise professions, being able to generate cutting-edge questions whilst having the skills to design methods to answer these questions is key. Put simply, if you want a career where you continue to learn and lead on knowledge development, being able to understand and conduct research is essential. The purpose of this course is to provide you with an understanding of the skills required for this (the research process). An established and well-published Sports Science researcher, who helps leading organisations (e.g., UK Sport) answer questions that enable those organisations to stay at the top of their ‘game’, delivers the course. The course will provide you with the basic tools to understand and conduct Sports, Health, Clinical, and Exercise related research. It will introduce you to the skills and knowledge required to help you think about doing your own research whilst also helping you develop analytical and critical thinking skills. It is these skills that will allow you to read and evaluate the research of others in relation to understanding ‘whether their research is ‘good’ and what you can conclude from their work?’. These are essential skills to ‘future proof’ your development in any chosen career path.
Throughout the course you will develop a range of skills that will allow you to design and conduct research to answer a worthwhile research question. In addition you will gain the skills required to interpret and evaluate more fully the research of others in relation to research design processes, the data collection, and the data analysis and interpretation (i.e., what you can conclude from their work). As such, you will cover two board themes (1) Research Design and (2) Statistical Procedures. In research design you will cover topics such as; Types of Research Design, Threats to Research Design, and Validity and Measurement Issues. In the statistical procedures section, you will cover topics such as; central tendency, dispersion, standard error, and comparison of data sets.
• D- to D+ basic knowledge and limited understanding of research principles and design together with an adequate understanding of statistical tests/procedures. Most criteria are met to an adequate standard; there may be a wide range in the quality of different components of the assignment questions.
A- to A* deep knowledge and understanding of research design and principles and has an excellent capacity to address, formulate, and answer basic research questions together with an excellent understanding of statistical tests/procedures.
A- = Most criteria are met to an excellent standard
A = All criteria are met to an excellent standard
A+/A* = Some criteria are met to an exceptionally high standard; the remainder are met to an excellent standard
C- to C+ good grasp of research principles and design, demonstrating good knowledge and understanding with the capacity to address, formulate, and answer basic research questions together with a good grasp of statistical tests/procedures. Most criteria are met to a good standard; there may be a wide range in the quality of different components of the assignment questions
Be able to address, formulate, and answer basic research questions including relevant hypotheses;
Understand and be able to conduct statistical analyses for dealing with two parametric data sets (e.g., t-tests)
Be able to explain the relevance of the assumptions that underpin the above statistical procedures;
Understand and be able to analyse data using descriptive statistics (e.g., mean, standard deviation, and Z scores);
|ARHOLIAD||Exam SAQ section||
This assessment forms part of the final exam and focuses on testing knowledge with an applied focus to questions. It contains short answer questions and longer calculations to test knowledge required during practical sport and exercise science data and research settings
|GWAITH CWRS||Formal Online MCQ/Short Answer Exam||
This short online exam/coursework is designed to help both monitor your understanding of the module material during the mid point of the course and to also help reduce some of the pressures associated with final exams. It will test your understanding of both research design and basic descriptive statistics.
|ARHOLIAD||Exam MCQ section||
This is a short multiple choice section on the final exam tat will test knowledge of understanding across the whole of the module content.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Private Study, revising lecture material, preparing for assessments
11 x 2 hour lectures covering What is (sport) science?/The research process
Types of Research Descriptive Experimental Epidemiology or Causal Comparative
Measurement Issues Validity& Reliability Review of weeks 1-4
Measures of central tendency/dispersion
Variance, standard deviation and Z scores
Standard error of the mean/central limit theorem
T tests (paired samples)
T tests (independent samples)
There are opportunities throughout the course to attend seminars designed to further your learning of the material covered in the lectures
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- demonstrate an understanding of the philosophical basis of scientific paradigms
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Additional Learning Resources and Information
Each week there will be an optional seminar session You can also book one-to-one tutorial with the teaching assistant staff.
All module material, including lecture slides, will be available to view through Blackboard on the following link:
Here you will find; Important announcements Lecture material Computer session information Formative and other practice exercises to prepare you for your assessments Panopto (lecture recordings) to help you with your learning Summative online assignments
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- R2C6: BA German and Sports Science year 1 (BA/GSPS)
- CR6H: BA Italian/Sports Science year 1 (BA/ITSSC)
- CR61: BA Sports Science/French year 1 (BA/SPSFR)
- CR62: BA Sports Science/German year 1 (BA/SPSG)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 1 (BA/SPSSC)
- CQ65: BA Cymraeg/Sports Science year 1 (BA/SPSW)
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 1 (BSC/ASS)
- C61N: BSc Adventure Sport Sci with Business Man (Subj to Validn) year 1 (BSC/ASSBM)
- C61P: BSc Adventure Sport Science with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/ASSP)
- CB69: BSC Sport, Health & Exercise Sci. year 1 (BSC/SHES)
- C651: BSC Sport- Health & Physical Educ year 1 (BSC/SHPE)
- CB70: BSc Sport, Health & Exercise Science with International Exp year 1 (BSC/SHSIE)
- C600: BSC Sports Science year 1 (BSC/SPS)
- C60F: BSc Sports Science year 1 (BSC/SPSF)
- C60P: BSc Sport Science with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/SPSP)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science & Business Management year 1 (BSC/SSB)
- C604: BSc Sports Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/SSIE)
- C6N5: BSc Sport Science & Marketing year 1 (BSC/SSM)
- CN5P: Sport Science and Marketing with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/SSMP)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 1 (MSCI/ASS)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 1 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 1 (MSCI/SS)
- C613: MSci Sport Science with International Experience year 1 (MSCI/SSIE)