Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Vicky Gottwald
Effective planning and design are integral skill-sets for many employability pathways. This module has been developed to help you plan and design your own dissertation in an area of interest to you. This choice may be based on future career aspirations, previous experience and expertise, or equally, just because you are passionate about a particular topic area. However, your dissertation proposal should be driven by a goal to contribute in a meaningful way to the current knowledge base within a specific area. This module will help prepare you for a Dissertation module, where you will be given the opportunity to carry out your proposed work.
This module provides the opportunity to work closely with, and be supported by, an expert member of staff on a one-to-one or small group basis to help develop your ideas. You will be supported to advance your understanding of the current knowledge base in an area of interest to you, as well as your critical-thinking, writing and presentation skills in preparation to be able to articulate ideas effectively to relevant parties e.g. practitioners, academics.
A basic overview of the topic to be reviewed
The proposal will leave the reader in no doubt as to what the topic area, the purpose and the rational of the review.
A good in-depth review that clearly shows the area to be reviewed and some justifications for doing so.
Critically appraise empirical literature in order to formulate an appropriate dissertation aim / question
Develop and propose an appropriate methodological approach in line with your dissertation aim / question e.g. a discursive approach, meta-analysis or systematic review
Provide evidence of a critical and analytical approach to how scientific data might be collected, organised and interpreted
Demonstrate a range of communication skills appropriate to the outcomes of postgraduate study, including the production of a verbal proposal presentation and written proposal
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Dissertation proposal presentation||
Students will be required to complete a verbal dissertation proposal presentation, outlining relevant literature and theory, dissertation aims, proposed methodological approach and expected findings / implications in line with literature.
|CYNLLUN YSGRIFENEDIG||Written proposal||
Students will be required to complete a written dissertation proposal outlining relevant literature and theory, dissertation aims, proposed methodological approach and expected findings / implications in line with literature.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
This module is made up of approximately 200hrs of combined supervisory meetings and independent study. We would advise scheduling weekly meetings with your supervisor, where you will work closely with this member of staff to develop your dissertation proposal. It is completely down to you to maintain contact with your supervisor and coordinate these meetings. Independent study will consist of reading, researching and academic writing. For September 2020 we will be starting the academic year with a blended learning approach in response to Covid 19. For the most up to date information on this please look at https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/september-faqs.php.en.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- demonstrate an understanding of the philosophical basis of scientific paradigms
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-4021.html
Jahan, N., Naveed, S., Zeshan, M., & Tahir, M. (2016). How to conduct a systematic review: A narrative literature review. Cureus, 8, 864. DOI 10.7759/cureus.864.
Pae, C.U. (2015). Why systematic review rather than narrative review? Psychiatry Investigation, DOI: https://doi.org/10.4306/pi.2015.12.3.417.
Reading will be discipline specific and discussed with supervisory team. Therefore there is no set reading list for this module.