Master Research Project
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
60.000 Credydau neu 30.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Anthony Blanchfield
The aim of this module is to allow students to complete a MSci research project in an area of mutual agreement with their supervisor in the school of sport, health and exercise sciences. Students will have the opportunity to produce an original piece of research work and integrate knowledge and skills developed previously during the course at undergraduate level (e.g. research methods). Please note students must be able to demonstrate progression from undergraduate level and the standard required is equivalent to that expected at level 7.
Throughout the academic year it is the responsibility of the student to seek adequate tutorial guidance for the preparation and completion of the MSci research project. You should agree an appropriate level, and timing, of tutorial support with your supervisor. Scheduled lectures, meetings and workshop sessions will also be provided. Helpful feedback tutorial support in Semester 1 and 2 forms an important foundation. Ample opportunity for verbal formative feedback will be present in these sessions. This formative feedback can be supplemented by one pre-marked draft of the Research Project or individual sections. In order to obtain pre-marked feedback it is imperative that the supervisor has sufficient time (e.g., 2-3 weeks).
Insufficient to fulfil the associated learning outcomes • Deficiencies in Knowledge even of key areas/principles • No evidence of understanding, even of main areas • No evidence of background study • Answer relies on tangential material and lacks a coherent structure • No arguments presented • Many factual/computational errors • No original interpretation • No links between topics are described • No attempt to solve problems • The presentation is very weak containing many inaccuracies
Strong knowledge • Understands most but not all • Evidence of background study • Focussed answer with good structure • Arguments presented coherently • Mostly free of factual/computational errors • Some limited original interpretation • Well known links between topics are described • Problems addressed by existing methods/approaches • Good presentation with accurate communication
Comprehensive knowledge • Detailed understanding • Extensive background study • Highly focussed answer and well structured • Logically presented and defended arguments • No factual/computational errors • Original interpretation • New links between topics are developed • New approach to a problem • Excellent presentation with very accurate communication
- Identify and demonstrate skills that underpin the independent management of empirical research within their chosen area of study
- Critically appraise ideas and empirical findings in order to formulate research hypotheses that address a chosen research question
- Obtain ethical approval for a research study
- Maintain adequate contact with their supervisor and contribute proactively to tutorials and project management sessions
- Demonstrate a range of communication skills appropriate to the outcomes of postgraduate study
- Provide evidence of a critical and analytical approach to the collection, organisation and interpretation of scientific data
|TRAETHAWD||Written Proposal of Research Project||
In this assignment yuo will submit a written proposal for your MSci research project
|TRAETHAWD||MSci Research Project||
Fot this assignment you will submit the final version of your full MSci project
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Verbal Proposal||
In this assignment you will verbally present the research proposal for your MSci project
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
As a 60-credit module, a rule of thumb might be to dedicate approximately 600 hours to this module. You should aim for around 20 hours of project related meetings with your supervisor. The project driven nature of this module means that students should use much of their time for reading and writing, hypothesis formulation, ethics submission, data collection and analysis and preparation of assignment submissions, both written and verbal. Students might use come of this time in a very guided manner as a result of action that arise from one-to-one supervisor meetings.
Students should be pro-active in meeting with their supervisor for this module. It is expected that consistent student supervisor interaction is maintained. Students might use this time to consult their supervisor about writing content, experimental design, hypothesis formulation, ethics preparation, preparation for data collection, data interpretation and writing feedback
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- undertake fieldwork with continuous regard for safety and risk assessment.
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 4 (MSCI/ASS)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 4 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 4 (MSCI/SS)
- C613: MSci Sport Science with International Experience year 5 (MSCI/SSIE)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 4 (MSCI/SSOA)