Beginners' Spanish 2022-23
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 2
This module runs during the first semester and is aimed at absolute beginners. The course is based on a communicative approach and helps students to develop all the key language skills: reading, writing, speaking and listening. After each of the contact hours, students are expected to spend at least 30 minutes of self-study to revise and consolidate what they have learned in class.
Face to face and online groups are available. Foundation Year students will be registered in the Face to face groups, and they will be asked to complete two assessments.
By the end of this course students will reach level A1 Breakthrough as defined by the Common European Framework, Language Assessment Scales.*
*Level One: Competent in a limited range of predictable and simple language tasks, using mainly set expressions and simple combinations of these. Capable of some rehearsed grammatical manipulations. This applies to all the 4 language skills: speaking, reading, listening and writing.
Only Foundation Year students will be submitting two tasks in order to be assessed.
-Threshold -40-49%: For the award of credit, students should demonstrate a satisfactory comprehension of the various grammatical areas studied and an ability to implement them in specific situations at a basic level.
-Good -50-69%: For the award of higher grades, students should demonstrate a solid comprehension of the various grammatical areas studied and an ability to implement them in specific situations.
-Excellent -70+%: For the award of the highest grade, students should demonstrate a detailed comprehension of the various grammatical areas studied and an ability to implement them confidently in specific situations.
- An understanding of the following grammar
- Adjectives (including possessive adjectives)
- Subject pronouns
- Definite and indefinite articles
- Some common prepositions
- The present tense of all regular verbs and some irregular ones (e.g.: ser; tener; ir; hacer; querer; poder; tener que; gustar)
- Reflexive verbs (present tense)
- The present continuous tense
- An understanding of the following topics and functions
- Talking about oneself and others: family; daily routine; preferences; likes/dislikes; hobbies and free time
- Asking and answering questions about jobs
- Ordering food and drinks
- Talking about money
- Counting up to 100
- Days of the week/ parts of the day
- Communicate orally on basic topics
- Understand and respond orally to basic questions
Assessment task 1: one 5-min recorded video, worth 50% of the module. This task is only relevant for those students in their Foundation Year, and not applicable for students registered as auditing the module.
Exam (Centrally Scheduled)
Assessment task 2: one written assignment, worth 50% of the module. This task is only relevant for those students in their Foundation Year, and not applicable for students registered as auditing the module.