3 language project (2 major/1 minor)
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
10.000 Credydau neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Shasha Wang
The aim of this module is to provide students with the opportunity to undertake an extended piece of work during their semester in China. The project enables students to develop in-depth knowledge of a specific element of Chinese life, literature or culture while also enhancing their written and spoken level of Chinese language. The chosen subject area should be something that is not already a specific component of the syllabus, thereby encouraging students to develop independent study and research skills.
Provided it meets with the approval of the relevant members of staff in Modern Languages, the chosen subject for the essay or the presentation may concern any aspect of Chinese life, literature, history or culture. The chosen subject area should not be something that is already a specific component of the syllabus. The essay or presentation will be in the target language.
70+%: Detailed comprehension of the chosen topic; extensive display of independent research skills and excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
40-49%: Satisfactory comprehension of the chosen topic; limited display of independent research skills and limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
50-69%: Solid comprehension of the chosen topic; adequate display of independent research skills and good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
Display the ability to conduct research independently and show initiative in problem solving.
Demonstrate the ability to gather information and condense it in a clear and coherent argument in the target language, orally or in writing.
Display familiarity with citation and referencing techniques (including compiling a bibliography).
Display a high degree of competency in Chinese language and grammar.
Display solid evidence of original analytical thinking.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Private study (including supervisory meetings)
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sentistevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in sophisticated written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to translate sophisticated passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Engaging with, interpreting and critically evaluating short and longer contemporary texts (short stories, films, novel) in the target language (Benchmark statement 5. 8, and 5.9)
- Fully proficient to skilful oral communication and presentation skills (including delivery and argument development, discussion and defence) in the target language through individual and/or group discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in oral assignments, showing adroitness with a very wide range of topics and registers in formal and informal situations. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Further develop aural comprehension skills in the target language, supported by a wide range of appropriate materials in different media. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to read, understand and summarise more sophisticated written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- T111: BA Chinese and French with German year 4 (BA/CHFG)
- T112: BA Chinese & French with Italian year 4 (BA/CHFI)
- T113: BA Chinese & French with Spanish year 4 (BA/CHFS)
- T114: BA Chinese and German with French year 4 (BA/CHGF)
- T115: BA Chinese & German with Italian year 4 (BA/CHGI)
- T116: BA Chinese & German with Spanish year 4 (BA/CHGS)
- T117: BA Chinese & Italian with French year 4 (BA/CHIF)
- T118: BA Chinese & Italian with German year 4 (BA/CHIG)
- T119: BA Chinese & Italian with Spanish year 4 (BA/CHIS)
- T120: BA Chinese & Spanish with French year 4 (BA/CHSF)
- T121: BA Chinese & Spanish with German year 4 (BA/CHSG)
- T122: BA Chinese & Spanish with Italian year 4 (BA/CHSI)