Contemporary issues in Medical Science
Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Rachel Hallett
The module gives students an opportunity to develop knowledge of a current topics within medical sciences.
Main aims will be: To encourage students to reflect holistically on topical medical science related issues, and their communication within and outside of the scientific world.
To discuss current themes and ethical implications related to medical research and practice, such as communication and consent, professional conduct, ethics and health & safety.
To develop analytical and self-assessment skills that will be appropriate for future careers in health related organisations or other professions.
This module will provide opportunities to combine facilitated discussion sessions with academic reflection. You will be guided towards independent research of an appropriate topic of your choosing and then present your findings in writing, and reflections in an oral presentation.
Category D (40-49%):
Little reflection on learning throughout the module; no evidence of development. Poorly written work with some factual errors. Meaning is not clear, structure is weak. Weak attempt at referencing. Weak evidence of research or few sources consulted. Little evidence of analysis and evaluation or links between theory and practice.
Category B (60%-69%):
Good reflection on learning throughout the module; clear evidence of development. Good standard of written work with few factual errors. Reasonable attempt at referencing. Significant research done with evidence of wider reading. Analysis and evaluation at the forefront of written work and presentation. Links made between theory and practice. Good understanding demonstrated of topical and/or ethical issues in Medical Sciences.
Category A (70%-100%):
Outstanding reflection on learning throughout the module; clear evidence of development. Excellent standard of written work with no factual errors. Flawless referencing. Significant research done with evidence of wider reading. Analysis and evaluation at the forefront of written work and presentation. Novel links made between theory and practice. Deep engagement with topical and/or ethical issues in Medical Sciences.
C- i C+
Category C (50 - 59%):
Basic reflection on learning throughout the module; some evidence of development. Satisfactory written work with some factual errors. Some attempt at referencing. Basic research done with evidence of wider reading. Analysis and evaluation attempted. Few links between theory and practice. Some understanding demonstrated of topical and/or ethical issues in Medical Sciences.
Critically discuss the scientific innovation of issues related to medical science.
Critically evaluate the ethical considerations associated with Medical Science topics.
Reflect on the manner in which your topic has been communicated in the wider press.
|GWAITH CWRS||Topical Report||70.00|
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Reflective Presentation||30.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
6 x 2h discussion based lecturers. These will feature facilitated discussion - considering case studies and relevant topical material and opinion pieces, as well as critical review of primary literature.
optional drop in sessions for formative feedback on the tropical report and reflective presentation.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.