Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
10.000 Credydau neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Rachel Newey
This module will provide an overview of psychological theories and research in perception and higher-order cognitive processes within the field of Cognitive Psychology. The aim of this course is to provide the student with an appreciation of the cognitive approach and an opportunity to investigate some of the core areas of cognitive psychology: visual and auditory perception, language processing, focused attention, memory systems and decision-making. Applications of cognitive principles to real-life situations, such as studying for exams and courtroom eyewitness testimony will also be examined.
Intro to Cognitive Psychology // Visual Perception // Auditory Perception // Selective Attention & Theories of Attention // Learning & Memory // Intro to Language & Speech Processing // Decision-making
Adequate answer to the question, largely based on lecture material. No real development of arguments.
Reasonably comprehensive coverage. Well organised and structured. Good understanding of the material.
Comprehensive and accurate coverage of the area clarity of argument and expression. Depth of insight into theoretical issues.
Demonstrate an understanding of the processes involved in language production and speech processing (Language & Speech Processing)
Outline the characteristics of selective attention and evaluate the major theories of attention (Attention)
Evaluate the major theories of the principle memory systems and discuss how memory research has contributed to the improvement of memory and the accuracy of eye-witness testimonies (Memory)
Demonstrate an understanding of the cognitive approach and explain how psychological research is conducted from a cognitive perspective
Demonstrate an understanding of visual information processing with a focus on object perception (Visual Perception).
Demonstrate an understanding of auditory information processing with a focus on speech perception (Auditory Perception).
Demonstrate an understanding of how we make decisions and the way in which these decisions can be influenced (Decision-making)
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Two hour lecture each week. Due to Covid-19 restrictions, each week two hour's worth of content will be released in the form of multiple short podcasts, which students can view whenever they prefer.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Understand and investigate the role of brain function in all human behaviour and experience.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
Ashcraft, M. H., & Radvansky, G. A. (2010). Cognition (5th Edition International). NJ, US: Pearson Education. ISBN 10: 0-13-508168-8 ISBN 13: 978-0-13-508168
Baddeley. A, D. (1999). Essentials of Human Memory (1st Edition). Hove, England: Psychology Press. ISBN 0863775454 (pbk.) 0863775446 Alternative core textbook for the topic of Memory
Goldstein, E.B. (1999). Sensation and Perception (5th Edition). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Publishing. ISBN 0534346804 (alk. paper) Alternative core textbook for the topic of Perception
Styles, E. A. (1997). The Psychology of Attention (2nd Edition). Hove UK: Psychology Press. ISBN 0863774652 (PBK) 0863774644 Alternative core textbook for the topic of Attention
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 2 (BA/APIS)
- LC31: BA Criminology & Crim Justice & Psychology (with Int Exp) year 2 (BA/CCJPIE)
- MC98: BA Criminology/Psychology year 2 (BA/CRP)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 2 (BA/CYP)
- CQ83: BA English Language & Psychology year 2 (BA/ELPSY)
- Q318: BA Eng Lang for Speech & Language Therapy (Subj to Validn) year 2 (BA/ELSLT)
- R181: BA French with Psychology (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/FPIE)
- R2C8: BA German with Psychology year 2 (BA/GPSY)
- Q1C8: BA Linguistics and Psychology year 2 (BA/LP)
- CL83: BA Sociology/Psychology year 2 (BA/PS)
- CL84: BA Social Policy/Psychology year 2 (BA/SPP)
- C80B: BSc Psychology (Bangor Uni Intl Coll) year 2 (BSC/BICPS)
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 2 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/PHS1)
- 8X44: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology (Int Exp) year 2 (BSC/PHSIE)
- C88P: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psy with Placement Yr year 2 (BSC/PHSP)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 2 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/PS1)
- C80F: BSc Psychology year 2 (BSC/PSF)
- C80P: BSc Psychology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/PSP)
- C813: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology year 2 (BSC/PSYFP)
- C84B: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psych (4 yr with Incorp Foundn) year 3 (BSC/PSYFP1)
- C81P: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/PSYFPP)
- C801: BSC Psychol w Neuropsychol year 2 (BSC/PSYN)
- C83B: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/PSYN1)
- C809: BSc Psychology with Neuropsy (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/PSYNIE)
- C84P: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/PSYNP)
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 2 (MSCI/PHS)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 2 (MSCI/PS)