English Teaching in Classroom
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Miss Athanasia Papastergiou
This module introduces students to theoretical and practical aspects of teaching English, examining both teaching in primary and secondary schools as well as teaching English as a second or foreign language.
Since learning English is now a key part of education programmes across most of the world, this module provides students with an overview of cutting-edge research into this field, allowing to students to explore how people learn English grammar (speaking, reading, writing and comprehension) and gain insights into the skills teachers need in order to teach learners from different backgrounds. This module aims to encourage the understanding of key principles related to best practice in teaching English, stimulating critical analysis and reflection of the teaching of English and use of Linguistics in primary and secondary schools, as well as English as a Foreign Language (EFL), and to provide a guide to the major issues and available literature on the teaching of English.
This module will be of interest to students studying linguistics, the English language, modern languages and cultures, or related subjects. It will be of particular relevance to students who have an interest in teaching English (or other languages) and developing their knowledge of the field.
Students will learn about topics such as the following:
- Teaching grammar
- Teaching phonetics
- Reading skills and reading comprehension
- Teaching literature
- Teaching English in ESL classrooms
- Teaching English in EFL classrooms
- Bi-Multilingual/Heritage Education
- Teaching English to pupils with developmental disorders or disabilities
A: Student has achieved a thorough standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all learning outcomes; or student has demonstrated an exceptional level of achievement in one or more learning outcomes together with a good overall standard: student has achieved a thorough understanding of the subject, both in terms of content and theory; student is able to apply concepts clearly and accurately; substantial evidence of critical and original thought and analysis; clear, logical argument; high level of communicative competence; free from irrelevant material and errors of spelling and punctuation; evidence of extensive reading beyond basic texts and clear and accurate references to source material.
B: Student has achieved a better-than-average standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all learning outcomes, and has a clear and accurate understanding of concepts; ability to apply concepts to data critically and thoughtfully; evidence of wide reading and clear and accurate reference to source materials; free from misunderstanding and errors of content; free from irrelevant material.
Threshold D: Student has achieved the minimum acceptable standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all the learning outcomes. Student can demonstrate a minimum level of understanding of the basic concepts and be able to apply them to data with some degree of accuracy.
Students will show a developing understanding of some of the major issues in research on English language teaching.
Students will show a developing understanding of theoretical aspects of teaching English in primary and secondary schools as well as teaching English as a second or foreign language.
Students will show a developing understanding of the practical aspects of teaching the English language in the classroom in an informed manner on approaches to this subject.
Students will be able to demonstrate a developing familiarity with and an ability to use appropriately the specialist terminology associated with the subject
|Short Essay 1||20|
|Short Essay 2||20|
|Reflection on microteaching||5|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
One 2 hour lecture per week over 11 teaching weeks.
Students are encouraged to see the lecturer on a one-to-one basis during published office hours (or by appointment) to discuss issues with the module content, seek clarification on topics and discussions, and discuss feedback on assessments and class exercises.
One 1 hour seminar per fortnight (5 over the 11 weeks) for discussion of issues from lectures, exercise tasks and brief presentation tasks; Seminars will include practical problem solving and analytical exercises via individual and group work.
Directed Reading - students are given required reading each week (of about 2 hours) on the topic of that week's lecture.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Writing & scholarly conventions - students will be able to present data, argumentation, findings and references in written form in keeping with the conventions current in language science and English language studies.
- Problem solving - students will be able to evidence problem-solving skills in formulating problems (factual, empirical, theoretical) in precise terms, identifying key issues, and developing the confidence to address challenging problems using a variety of different approaches
- Personal organisation - students will develop the ability to undertake self-directed study and learning with appropriate time-management
- Learning to learn - students will learn to reflect upon, modify and improve their learning strategies
- Working effectively with others - students will develop the ability to work well with others as part of a group or a team
- Proficiency in the use of English in reading, writing, speaking and/or listening - students will demonstrate proficiency in their ability to use and understand English in a range of different contexts and via different media.
- Fluency, confidence and proficiency in the use of English -students will demonstrate their ability and proficiency to use and understand and instruct others in English in a range of academic and classroom contexts.
- Effective communication - students will develop the ability to communicate effectively, appropriately and confidently, in a range of contexts, to different audience types, and making use of a range of supporting materials
- Knowledge of linguistic theory and application - students will demonstrate a detailed knowledge of terms, issues, principles, aspects and best practices related to the study of human language and linguistics.
- Understanding of the nature and organisation of language - students will demonstrate detailed knowledge of observations and findings relating to various aspects of linguistic phenomena and organization.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
There are no resource implications.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/qxl-2253.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q315: BA English Language for TEFL year 2 (BA/ELT)
- Q314: BA International English Language for TEFL year 2 (BA/IELT)
- Q140: BA Ling & the Eng Lang year 2 (BA/LELA)
- QQ31: BA Linguistics & the English Language with International Exp year 3 (BA/LWEL)
- Q316: MArts English Language for TEFL year 2 (MARTS/ELT)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- N2R1: BA Business Management and French year 2 (BA/BMFR)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 2 (BA/BUSSF)
- T104: BA Chinese and French year 2 (BA/CHFR)
- T101: BA Chinese and Linguistics year 2 (BA/CHL)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 2 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTFR)
- Q301: BA English Language year 2 (BA/EL)
- QQ3M: BA English Language & Cymraeg year 2 (BA/ELC)
- T123: BA English Language and Chinese year 2 (BA/ELCH)
- 8G55: BA English Language with Creative Writing (with Int Exp) year 3 (BA/ELCIE)
- Q3WL: BA Eng Lang with Creat Writ year 2 (BA/ELCW)
- Q310: BA Eng Lit with Eng Lang year 2 (BA/ELEL)
- QR3C: BA English Language and French year 2 (BA/ELFR)
- Q3WP: BA Eng Lang with Film Studs year 2 (BA/ELFS)
- QR3F: BA English Language and German year 2 (BA/ELG)
- Q312: BA English Language (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/ELIE)
- QR3H: BA English Language and Italian year 2 (BA/ELIT)
- PQ53: BA English Language & Journalism year 2 (BA/ELJO)
- 1Q3Q: BA Linguistics and English Literature year 2 (BA/ELL)
- QQC3: BA English Lang and Lit year 2 (BA/ELLIT)
- QQCF: BA English Language & English Lit [with Foundation Year] year 2 (BA/ELLITF)
- Q3P3: BA English Lang with Media Stds year 2 (BA/ELMS)
- CQ83: BA English Language & Psychology year 2 (BA/ELPSY)
- LQ3J: BA English Lang. & Sociology year 2 (BA/ELSOC)
- QR3K: BA English Language and Spanish year 2 (BA/ELSP)
- Q3Q2: BA English Language w English Lit year 2 (BA/ENGEL)
- R101: BA French year 2 (BA/F4)
- R1NC: BA French with Business Studies year 2 (BA/FBS)
- 06CD: BA French and English Literature year 2 (BA/FEL)
- RR13: BA French/Italian(4 years) year 2 (BA/FI)
- R102: BA French with International Experience year 2 (BA/FIE)
- R181: BA French with Psychology (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/FPIE)
- R1C8: BA French with Psychology year 2 (BA/FPSY)
- NR41: BA French/Accounting year 2 (BA/FRA)
- NR31: BA French/Banking year 2 (BA/FRB)
- MR91: BA French/Criminology&Crim'l Just year 2 (BA/FRCR)
- R1W8: BA French with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/FRCW)
- LR11: BA French/Economics year 2 (BA/FREC)
- R1P5: BA French with Journalism year 2 (BA/FRJO)
- R1N1: BA French with Marketing year 2 (BA/FRMKT)
- R1P3: BA French with Media Studies year 2 (BA/FRMS)
- RR14: BA French and Spanish year 2 (BA/FS4#)
- PQ3J: BA Film Studies and English Language year 2 (BA/FSELAN)
- PR31: BA Film Studies and French year 2 (BA/FSFR4)
- RR12: BA German/French year 2 (BA/G4F)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 2 (BA/GBS)
- T109: BA German with Chinese year 2 (BA/GCH)
- R200: BA German year 2 (BA/GER)
- R2W8: BA German with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/GERCW)
- R2N1: BA German with Marketing year 2 (BA/GERMKT)
- R12R: BA German and French with International Experience year 2 (BA/GFIE)
- R2W6: BA German with Film Studies year 2 (BA/GFS)
- R2P5: BA German with Journalism year 2 (BA/GJO)
- R2P4: BA German with Media Studies year 2 (BA/GMST)
- R2C8: BA German with Psychology year 2 (BA/GPSY)
- RV11: BA History/French year 2 (BA/HFR)
- QR13: BA Italian/Linguistics year 2 (BA/ITL)
- Q1Q3: BA Ling with Eng Lit year 2 (BA/LEL)
- QR11: BA Linguistics/French year 2 (BA/LFR)
- QR15: BA Linguistics and French with International Experience year 2 (BA/LFRIE)
- QR12: BA Linguistics/German year 2 (BA/LG)
- Q100: BA Linguistics year 2 (BA/LING)
- Q104: BA Linguistics (with International Experience)) year 3 (BA/LINGIE)
- Q1C8: BA Linguistics and Psychology year 2 (BA/LP)
- QR14: BA Linguistics/Spanish year 2 (BA/LSP)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTFR#)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 2 (BA/MUFR)
- VVR1: BA Philosophy and Religion and French year 2 (BA/PRF)
- 8M74: BA Spanish with Creative Writing (with International Exp) year 2 (BA/SCIE)
- LQ31: BA Sociology/Linguistics year 2 (BA/SL)
- R400: BA Spanish year 2 (BA/SP4)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 2 (BA/SPBS)
- T110: BA Spanish with Chinese year 2 (BA/SPCH)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/SPCW)
- R4R1: BA Spanish with French year 2 (BA/SPFR)
- R4R2: BA Spanish with German year 2 (BA/SPG)
- R4R3: BA Spanish with Italian year 2 (BA/SPI)
- R4P5: BA Spanish with Journalism year 2 (BA/SPJO)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 2 (BA/SPMKT)
- R4P3: BA Spanish with Media Studies year 2 (BA/SPMS)
- CR61: BA Sports Science/French year 2 (BA/SPSFR)
- QR51: BA Cymraeg/French year 2 (BA/WFR)
- QQ15: BA Cymraeg and Linguistics year 2 (BA/WL)
- Q102: MArts Bilingualism year 2 (MARTS/BILING)
- Q101: MArts Linguistics year 2 (MARTS/LING)