Rhedir gan School of History, Law and Social Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Craig Prescott
This module aims to ensure that students acquire an understanding of the foundations of sports law and the nature of the governance of sport in national, continental, and international contexts. Students completing this module will be equipped to address contemporary issues in sport from a variety of perspectives, including inclusivity, sporting integrity, and the increasing commercialization of sport, and the challenges this raises for the established governance structures of sport.
The module will allow students to study a range of issues within Sports Law, including, but not limited to, the following:
- the governance and regulation of sport in a variety of contexts;
- issues surrounding the integrity of sport, including anti-doping;
- commercial issues within sport, including broadcasting rights and other contracts within sport, and the challenge increasingly placed on established governance structures within sport;
- the role of EU law in the development of sports law;
- contemporary and developing issues within sport.
subject to validation in July
B- to B+ (60-69%) High Standard: A comprehensive answer, containing all the material relevant to the question and no irrelevancy, all the material and references being accurate and correct, there being no inaccuracy or error, the whole presented in an argument which, while clear, logical and critical, leaves room for improvement in its construction and presentation. An answer which shows complete competence in the subject.
D- to D+ (40-49%) An answer which, while predominantly correct in its presentation of material, contains a significant level of error and is therefore not entirely reliable.
A- to A* (70+%) An outstanding, possibly brilliant, answer, containing all the material relevant to the question and no irrelevancy, all the material and references being accurate and correct, there being no inaccuracy or error, the whole presented in a clear, logical, critical argument with little room for improvement. An answer which demonstrates a complete mastery of the subject.
C- i C+
C- to C+ (50-59%) An answer which, while always in the main accurate and correct, fails to distinguish between relevant and irrelevant material and is lacking in criticism. An answer which while reliable with regard to correctness is either not comprehensive or not entirely pertinent.
Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of the principles and doctrines of sports law.
Show a comprehensive understanding and analyse legal rules, principles, and processes of dispute resolution within the specific context of sport.
Find, use, and analyse relevant sources in relation to sports law, in its national, continental and/or worldwide contexts.
Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of relevant law, regulations, or other rules and apply this knowledge to actual or hypothetical factual scenarios within a sporting context.
Demonstrate a good understanding of, and the ability to analyse contemporary and developing issues within sports law.
Effectively structure, articulate and apply arguments to actual or hypothetical factual scenarios, and to present those arguments in the appropriate manner, in writing.
Students are required to write 2000 words examining and analysing a contemporary issue in Sports Law.
|Written assignment, including essay||Arbitration Submission||
Students are required to write a submission to the Court of Arbitration of Sport as if they are acting on behalf of one party in a dispute involving an aspect of Sports Law.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
The module requires students to undertake private study in order to prepare for seminars and assessments.
20 lectures, of two hours duration, two per week, over one semester.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop the ability to interpret legal rules and employ techniques of legal reasoning competently and efficiently in order to offer a range of solutions and conclusions to actual or hypothetical complex legal problems, all supported by relevant academic literature, jurisprudence and legislative research. Such solutions will be clearly communicated and presented
- Develop the ability to analyse complex legal issues, set against the background of the political, social, economic or cultural contexts in which they may arise
- Develop those skills which are necessary for scholarship and research in legal subjects, namely the ability to identify relevant primary and secondary legal sources and to retrieve accurate legal information using paper and electronic sources
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/sxl-2140.html
- Mark James, Sports Law (3rd edn, MacMillan 2017)
- Simon Gardner, Roger Welch, Sports Law (4th edn, Routledge 2012)
- Stephen F. Ross, Advanced Introduction to Global Sports Law, (Edward Elgar 2021)
- Sports Lawyers Journal
- International Sports Law Journal
- Sport & Law Journal
- International Sports Law Review
- Entertainment Sports Law Journal
- Adam Lewis QC & Jonathan Taylor QC (eds), Sport: Law and Practice (4th edn, Bloomsbury 2021)
- Nick De Marco QC, Football and the Law (Bloomsbury 2018)
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- M100: LLB Law year 2 (LLB/L)
- M11B: LLB Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (LLB/L1)
- M10P: LLB Law with Placement Year year 2 (LLB/LP)