Globalisation & Social Change
Rhedir gan School of History, Law and Social Sciences
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Corinna Patterson
This module draws on theories of social structure and social change to account for the diversity of contemporary societies in the context of globalisation. The course will introduce students to key approaches to globalisation in sociology and related disciplines with a focus on critical debates over global society, culture and economics of globalisation.
The module aims:
- to examine macro-sociological theories, such as modernity, postmodernity, network society, etc.
- to demonstrate the value of the comparative method for explaining the trajectories of social change – within the EU, East-West and North South divisions.
- to familiarise students with the analysis and interpretation of social data from a range of national and European sources, including UN, EU and national databases.
• theories of social change • demographical changes to the modern societies • debating and explaining globalisation • migration • capitalism and globalisation • politics, the state and globalisation • power and inequality in the global economy • globalisation movements • global culture
Display a thorough, critical understanding of major social theories and their relevance for the interpretation of contemporary societies; use complex comparisons to help explain the trajectories of global social trends; and show sophisticated competence in the analysis of social data from a range of national and international sources.
Display an adequate understanding of major social theories and their relevance for the interpretation of contemporary societies; use simple comparisons to help explain the trajectories of social trends; and show basic competence in the analysis of social data from a range of national and international sources.
Display a good understanding of major social theories and their relevance for the interpretation of contemporary societies; use multi-way comparisons to help explain the trajectories of global social trends; and show reflexive competence in the analysis of social data from a range of national and international sources.
Use comparative perspective to analyse a selected topic related to social change and globalisation.
Give a theoretically informed account of the diversity of social structures in contemporary world.
Effectively communicate the above both orally and in writing.
Display competence in the use and interpretation of social and political data from range of national and international sources.
You will be asked to write an essay from a chioce of topics covered during the module
|INDIVIDUAL PRESENTATION||Poster Presentation||
Poser presentation of a topic related to the module
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- LL34: BA Sociology and Social Policy year 3 (BA/SOCSP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- M93B: BA Criminology & Criminal Just (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BA/CCJ1)
- M931: BA Criminology & Criminal Justice with International Exp year 4 (BA/CJIE)
- M930: BA Criminology & Criminal Justice year 3 (BA/CRIM)
- M93P: BA Criminology and Criminal Justice with Placement Year year 4 (BA/CRIMP)
- X317: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Social Policy year 3 (BA/CYSP)
- X315: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/CYSS)
- LL13: BA Sociology/Economics year 3 (BA/ECS)
- LL2B: BA Sociology & Economics (4 yr with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/ECS1)
- LQ3J: BA English Lang. & Sociology year 3 (BA/ELSOC)
- L700: BA Geography year 3 (BA/GEOG)
- L702: BA Geography (4 yr with placement) year 4 (BA/GEOG4)
- L701: BA Geography (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/GEOGIE)
- V100: BA History year 3 (BA/H)
- V10F: BA History [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/HF)
- 8B03: BA History (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/HIE)
- V10P: BA History with Placement Year year 4 (BA/HP)
- V140: BA Modern & Contemporary History year 3 (BA/MCH)
- V130: BA Mediaeval and Early Modern His year 3 (BA/MEMH)
- VV15: BA Medieval & Early Modern History with International Exp year 4 (BA/MEMHIE)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/MSSOC)
- L200: BA Politics year 3 (BA/POL)
- L202: BA Politics and Economics year 3 (BA/POLEC)
- L20F: BA Politics [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/POLF)
- L201: BA Politics with Placement Year year 3 (BA/POLP)
- L300: BA Sociology year 3 (BA/S)
- L31B: BA Sociology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/S1)
- LM40: BA Sociology & Criminology & Crim Just with International Ex year 4 (BA/SCJIE)
- LM39: BA Sociology and Criminology & Criminal Justice year 3 (BA/SCR)
- 3L3Q: BA Sociology and English Literature year 3 (BA/SEL)
- L30F: BA Sociology [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/SF)
- LV31: BA Sociology/History year 3 (BA/SH)
- 8Y70: BA Sociology (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/SIE)
- LQ31: BA Sociology/Linguistics year 3 (BA/SL)
- L41B: BA Social Policy (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/SOCP1)
- L402: BA Social Policy year 3 (BA/SOCPOL)
- L40F: BA Social Policy [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/SOCPOLF)
- L30P: BA Sociology with Placement Year year 4 (BA/SOP)
- LL14: BA Social Policy/Economics year 3 (BA/SPEC)
- LL1B: BA Social Policy & Economics (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BA/SPEC1)
- LL15: BA Social Policy and Economics with International Experience year 4 (BA/SPECIE)
- LV41: BA Social Policy/History year 3 (BA/SPH)
- CL84: BA Social Policy/Psychology year 3 (BA/SPP)
- CL85: BA Social Policy & Psychology with International Experience year 3 (BA/SPPIE)
- LVH2: BA Welsh History/Sociology year 3 (BA/WHS)
- LQ35: BA Cymraeg and Sociology year 3 (BA/WS)
- V102: MArts History with International Experience year 3 (MARTS/HIE)
- V101: MArts History year 3 (MARTS/HIST)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 3 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 4 (MGEOG/GIE)
- L403: MSocSci Social Policy year 3 (MSOCSCI/SP)